free website stats program new guy clueless as to how this work | Harley Davidson Forums

Rick42g

New guy springfield missouri. Need all help i can get i have an 07 electra glide classic. Its the true love of my life and she keeps me satisfied... till 3 days ago. Well im stickler for maintainence and change oil and filter and air cleaner ahead of scheduel every time and spare no expense buying quality products. Three days ago my bike went haywire and she hasnt roared since and i need help. I am a diesel mechanic by trade and i rode my bike down the highway to pick upa part for a dump truck and when i got on to leave i tried to start it and everything went haywire. The speedo kinda jumped around same as tachometer.the green neutral indicator light flickers from bright to dim intermittently as does the red o light and theres an intermittant clicking and buzzing coming frm 2 or more relays. When i hit starter button there is a click and everything goes dark and quiet then gradually comes back to what it was doing which is just going haywire no other way to describe. Now used voltmetrr and with every thing off battery is 13 plus volts but with key on and kill switch on battery voltage drops quickly to between 3 and 4 volts.slows way down at that point but still gradually drops til battery dead. Also i used volt meterat battery between terminal and post on positive side and with ignition and kill switch on shows 9. Something .started ing fuses one by one and nothing happened until i got to radio memory fuse and there was a change the volts went back up to 13 so my happy (EDIT) thought id found the problem and left both radio and radio memory fuses out charged battery and tried it and it barely cranks and withoht jumper cables hooked up to my big nasty chevy just does the haywire boogie.. with the help of my chevys nastiness via jumper cable the bike acts normal until you hit the start buttonn at which time starter engages makes about a half of a revolution gives up engages makes a half a revolution gives up and so on and so on in quick succession. It doesnt sound like the starter is dragging it sounds like the starter buton is pushed released pushed released quickly. If that makes sense if any of this makes sense . Im baffled and im mechanically inclined im a mechanic but imm 44 and this my first harley. Can so.eone give me an idea of what to check? Btw the digital odometer hasnt worked sinc i owned it speedos fi e but little odometer readout is blank so no pulling trouble codes through that and i got no clue what kind of scanner is co.patible with thisbike. Sorry for the long winded opening thread hope it takes off like a rocket. If im doing something wrong hesitate not to scold me.
2007 HD ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC 6 SPEED 96 CI ENGINE BONE STOCK LOW MILES RAN LIKE I IMAGINE A NEWONE WOULD UP UNTIL 3 DAYS AGO THANK YOU

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome !.
Just for starters , did you check the ground-connections , and the batterie -terminals.
Maybe sounds stupid , but replace the batterie of the fob , had this once with same symptoms.
Could be the alarm , is not disalarming completely !.

Welcome to the forum. from Gulf Coast AL. I tend to agree with @Roadking-1960 that your connections and or battery terminals could be the problem or could be the battery has a bad cell. Electrical is a bugaboo but there are folks hear to help you out.

Welcome from Spokane Washington.
Is the battery old, 3 plus years?
After cleaning the battery cables, recharge the battery. Than have the volt meter connected to the battery to see voltage drop when cranking, if below 10 volts, replace it and retest starter operation.

Welcome !.
Just for starters , did you check the ground-connections , and the batterie -terminals.
Maybe sounds stupid , but replace the batterie of the fob , had this once with same symptoms.
Could be the alarm , is not disalarming completely !.
Thank much for your response, i will try everything you mentioned here shortly and update when i see what happens

Welcome from Ohio. Sounds like battery has dead short, try taking one terminal off the battery and hook up a good jump pack or your chevy to bypass the battery. I had a battery that tested good at home and Napa but was bad.

Welcome to the forum. from Gulf Coast AL. I tend to agree with Roadking-1960 that your connections and or battery terminals could be the problem or could be the battery has a bad cell. Electrical is a bugaboo but there are folks hear to help you out.
Thanks to @Roadking-1960 and @gator508 and @joel especially and everyone who replied and welcomed me to the forum my big problem that had me completely dumbfounded was simply a bad battery. I guess i slipped due to it being a new battery heck i bought it brand new 2 months ago it must be defective. All the indicator lights and the relays going crazy had me overthinking it and expecting the worst but now come to think of it some newer cars will do the same thing with a low battery CHEVY HHR comes to mind. Well thanks again i plan on being a senior member of this forum someday it already been worth its weight in gold to me. Stand tall and ride hard

Back