free website stats program new flhtk | Harley Davidson Forums

new flhtk

kevinp

Had the 1000 mile service done, I had requested red Line heavy in the gear box. well the teck rote on the order form harley doesn't recommend for the 6 speed , has been known to cause bearing failure.
Has any one else herd of such ? is this just (EDIT) opinion from a die hard hd teck? or is their any fact about bearing failure? I have allways run Red Line in the trans. on all my other bikes and love it .its quieter smoother shift and never any metal on magnet. I talked to other tecks at the same shop and they said its fine. its just HD (EDIT) to sell their product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, that's all it is, Red Line is a quality product that's been around for years.
I've run it in my gear box for years without any issues.

Unless Your bike was built after 5/19, I would use nothing but Formula Plus until You are sure of no transfer issues.While the bike is under warranty I would stick with HD products.All They need is an excuse to void Your warranty.

Buy it yourself and tell them to use it, you should have no issues with warranty and they have no excuse for not putting it in if you provide it.

First I will say that I am a Redline Shockproof fan; have used it for years. I am a member of a couple of HD forums and not only post on all but follow new issues and/or trends.

There have been issues tied to Redline Shockproof recently, specifically related to the M8 trans and bikes ridden in cold climates. There have been documented cases of failure of the small needle bearings on the shafts that the gears ride on. Several independent techs have noted the common denominator in these failures is Redline Shockproof.

Harley techs are always going to push Formula 1 which is a very good lubricant; p[ushing it by a Harley tech is to be expected but I would not take any aftermarket gear lube to a Harley dealership and tell them to use it; bad juju, particularly if the bike is an M8 with migration issues. If one wants to use it, put it in yourself. I live in south Texas; we go years without a freeze so I have run Redline Shockproof for years and will continue to do so. However, if I lived in a cold climate, I would consider running the Redline Light; the blue/green one.

Not knocking Redline Shockproof; I run it in two Harleys but just passing on recent info I have run across on forums that are populated with very knowledgeable members.;)

First I will say that I am a Redline Shockproof fan; have used it for years. I am a member of a couple of HD forums and not only post on all but follow new issues and/or trends.

There have been issues tied to Redline Shockproof recently, specifically related to the M8 trans and bikes ridden in cold climates. There have been documented cases of failure of the small needle bearings on the shafts that the gears ride on. Several independent techs have noted the common denominator in these failures is Redline Shockproof.

Harley techs are always going to push Formula 1 which is a very good lubricant; p[ushing it by a Harley tech is to be expected but I would not take any aftermarket gear lube to a Harley dealership and tell them to use it; bad juju, particularly if the bike is an M8 with migration issues. If one wants to use it, put it in yourself. I live in south Texas; we go years without a freeze so I have run Redline Shockproof for years and will continue to do so. However, if I lived in a cold climate, I would consider running the Redline Light; the blue/green one.

Not knocking Redline Shockproof; I run it in two Harleys but just passing on recent info I have run across on forums that are populated with very knowledgeable members.;)

Wow did not know of this problem with the M8, I have been running it for several years in my softail

Softail's are not showing the migration problem.Only in touring.My 17 Flhtk had transfer issues at 5,000 miles.Third gear went out at 22,000 miles.They now vent the primary to stop the transfer issues.

Wow did not know of this problem with the M8, I have been running it for several years in my softail

thank s for the information I was thinking that i should run what they recommend at least until the warranty is up. again thanks .

Back