free website stats program new exhaust problem | Harley Davidson Forums

new exhaust problem

OK, I removed stock exhaust from my 09 street glide and put on Kuryakyn Crusher true duals and put back the Screamin Eagle slip on's. Everything was tight and no leaks at the manifold upon initial start up. I let the bike run in the shop for a few and took it out for a short ride. After about a half mile the engine started to vibrate violently. I shut the bike down while rolling to rule out a drive line issue. Got the bike home and removed the duals and put the stock back on and bike is back to normal with no vibrations. I bought the bike used last year and have had no issues. I got the Screamin Eagle race tuner with the bike. Is this just a issue that the bike needs to be re flashed? Any advise (besides why would I change out stock exhaust) would definitely help.

Thank you and ride hard-ride fast!!

It's very possible that a re-tune to the SERT is needed with the new header pipes.

I'm sure someone with more tuner knowledge will chime in here sometime today.

My friend has 11 ultra limited & installed Vance & Hines true duals 2 yrs back & did not need to dyno it or put a tuner on(DID MAKE SURE THE O2 SENSORS WERE PLUGGED IN) - runs great . I cant believe you would go to all that work removing your stock exhaust & have a problem with new true duals & put the stock back on with out a professional mechanic checking the problem . Had to be loose exhaust or manifold flange loose . Did you check that before removing the true duals ?

OK, I removed stock exhaust from my 09 street glide and put on Kuryakyn Crusher true duals and put back the Screamin Eagle slip on's. Everything was tight and no leaks at the manifold upon initial start up. I let the bike run in the shop for a few and took it out for a short ride. After about a half mile the engine started to vibrate violently. I shut the bike down while rolling to rule out a drive line issue. Got the bike home and removed the duals and put the stock back on and bike is back to normal with no vibrations. I bought the bike used last year and have had no issues. I got the Screamin Eagle race tuner with the bike. Is this just a issue that the bike needs to be re flashed? Any advise (besides why would I change out stock exhaust) would definitely help.

Thank you and ride hard-ride fast!!

Not sure WHY it would VIBRATE with Just an exhaust change.

The tuner you say you have is not a Flash type...
I use a SE pro off road tuner on my slightly Hot 103" build:D in my 09 King. Yes SE tuners do have different Maps and Tuning capabilities. I still can't see the Vibrating? Maybe describe that a little better please.

I did change out my tune to run correctly starting from using a generic 2010-12 Se 255 cams and 103" hot engine HD Map I installed.
It can be done at a shop with a dyno or home/shop with a tuning program from HD that loads into a PC... I did the PC and tuning at Home and I had very good LUCK changing mine out to run Great.

To change the programming you need to take the tuner with you as it needs to be plugged into your bike and their computer to Look and SEE. At a shop they will put it on a dyno and do the changing needed when that exhaust is Back On The Bike....

MY Idea of the vibration is that something IS in the engine and not the exhaust you put on.
I don't see that problem by installing the exhaust BUT Yes the different exhaust DOES need that SE tuner hooked up to correctly rework the fuel and timing fields. That exhaust is a big change from stock.

Yada yada too long here.

signed....BUBBIE

to answer the replies. Yes I did check to make sure nothing was loose before removal and the o2 sensors were plugged in. The vibration was almost like a major miss in a car being out of time but the motor still had power (strong power). Like I said the vibration came on after about 1/2 mile during all RPM range. The faster the RPM the more violently it shook. And the install and removal and back to stock was only about 2 total hours (not a novice here) but this is a new issue I have never encountered. All my previous bikes were carburation so re-jetting was easier.

Had one of My knowledgeable friends read this and he thinks the same as I DO...

IF the exhaust you put on is NOT mounted correctly for the bike and or is differently mounted ??? And OR touching the frame, you will have that vibration.

HE thought also; the tune coould cause it BUT you saying it ran strong leads me to believe it is the Exhaust.

signed....BUBBIE & rbabos my informant:D

Replace OEM exhaust with aftermarket system and experience vibration; remove aftermarket exhaust and install OEM exhaust and no vibration. Something wrong with mounting the aftermarket system, nothing to do with state of tune.

Mount the aftermarket exhaust again but pay attention to mounting; could have been something as simple as loose heat shield.

Thank you all for the positive responses!! I will give er another whirl this weekend as work load and weather has been really draining me here in Wisconsin!!!!! Some day in late June it may be not snowing or above freezing long enough to ride again! I will post what I find out with the 2nd try. Again thank you!!

Loosen everything up, reposition the exhaust, start at the head pipe and work back tightening every thing back up

Back