free website stats program New Cam | Harley Davidson Forums

New Cam

traveller

Just a question for my intellectual superiors. On a 88 twin cam are there any clearancing to be done to install a S&S 570 gear drive easy start cam.

The Valve springs will need to be replace with high lift springs. and you need to check the run out on the crankshaft. I would check that before I got the cams.

.003 is the rule of thumb. Andrews calls for .003 or less. S&S probably isnt much different.

Just a question for my intellectual superiors. On a 88 twin cam are there any clearancing to be done to install a S&S 570 gear drive easy start cam.

Depends on the year. '05 was the year beehive springs were introduced and I know you can run cams with .555 lift with no issues but not sure about 570; coil bind could be an issue. You could certainly mock up and check and if an issue replace the springs with the '07 or later beehives that will accommodate lift up to .600.

I would question the cam selection for an 88" configuration though. There are better choices for a bolt in cam; like the S&S 509 or 551, the Andrews 21 or 48. The pre-'06 heads signed off about .400" lift, so you really don't need a hi lift cam. It's not that the heads stop flowing but the flow really slows down above .400" lift and they are completely done by .500" lift. Might want to re-think your cam selection.

Also need to consider changing tensioner shoes, inner and outer cam bearings while your at it.

If you are asking if any clearancing need be done in the cam chest, again, if an '05 or later, no worries. However, if you do decide to install 570s in an earlier model, you should check the lobe to main bearing housing and lifter block clearance. Probably OK but good idea to check; should have at least .030" at both places.

Back