free website stats program New bike | Harley Davidson Forums

New bike

TUCKERFLHX

If you buy a brand new street glide do you take it in for 1000 mile check up and do they pay for it,is it like a break in peroid or something?

New bikes need to be broken in. There are post on here to help answer how this is done. Try using the Search area for proper break in procedure.

The 1000 mile check up will be a fluid change. If you are buying a new bike, negotiate that in so the dealer picks up the charge. Mine was free, but I've heard some are in the nieghborhood of $300 bucks.

Yeah the dealer told me there was no break in period just dont red line it. I got it 5 weeks ago this saturday,another 35 miles and it will be 1000 miles im getting tired of people at these dealers just wanting to make a buck and not really b truthful about your pride and joy. I understand they are at work and need to make money but were talking about a true american product here not something that is disposable

Yeah the dealer told me there was no break in period just dont red line it. I got it 5 weeks ago this saturday,another 35 miles and it will be 1000 miles im getting tired of people at these dealers just wanting to make a buck and not really b truthful about your pride and joy. I understand they are at work and need to make money but were talking about a true american product here not something that is disposable

My guess is that the Dealership is not being malicious, they just don't know any better. No real training or significant qualifications required.

TQ

I consider the 1000 mile service an absolute must-do even if it is going to cost you money. At my dealership at least, the service includes not only changing all fluids but also flushing out the crankcase, tranny, etc. This gets as much of the fine metal particles out of the engine/drive train as possible. I just had the service done and replaced all fluids with synthetic. Everything seems to work much smoother now and my gas mileage increased from an average of 42 mpg to 43.7 mpg. The tranny is quieter and finding neutral is easy. I negotiated a number of other things into the sale and forgot the first service. Even so I consider the $300 well spent in terms of the lifetime of the bike.

JMHO,
John

I consider the 1000 mile service an absolute must-do even if it is going to cost you money. At my dealership at least, the service includes not only changing all fluids but also flushing out the crankcase, tranny, etc. This gets as much of the fine metal particles out of the engine/drive train as possible. I just had the service done and replaced all fluids with synthetic. Everything seems to work much smoother now and my gas mileage increased from an average of 42 mpg to 43.7 mpg. The tranny is quieter and finding neutral is easy. I negotiated a number of other things into the sale and forgot the first service. Even so I consider the $300 well spent in terms of the lifetime of the bike.

JMHO,
John

I agree, the 1000 mile service is a must. A completion of the assembly if you will. I know many will disagree. However, I feel $300.00 is high. My dealer only charges $190.00 and thats with Syn3. (almost synthetic oil) Good enough for my neck of the woods.

At my dealership at least, the service includes not only changing all fluids but also flushing out the crankcase, tranny, etc. This gets as much of the fine metal particles out of the engine/drive train as possible. I just had the service done and replaced all fluids with synthetic.

Interesting. I would be very interested in learning how they do this (flushing out the crankcase, tranny, etc.). Glider has posted a process to chase the oil that remains in the engine when dumping the tank. The link below talks about Softails, but the others are a similar process. That can be found here:

Complete Oil Change (softail) - Harley Davidson Community

I would love to see the HD Technical Procedures used to flush the engine, tranny, etc.

If the Dealership replaced "all fluids with synthetic", I would bet that they used SYN3. This is a Group 3 lubricant. See the following:

Oil Groups Explained - Harley Davidson Community

There is lots of discussion about lubricants that can be found here on the Forum. The main point is that one lubricant is not suitable for the three applications found on a HD motorcycle. A 20W50 vtwin engine oil should be used in the engine (we suggest a FULL synthetic), a FULL synthetic 75W90 - 75W140 gear lube (with a GL-5 rating for 6-spds) should be used in the tranny, and a fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch fluid w/o friction modifiers should be used in the primary (like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary). See here for more info:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Let us know if you can find the HD Technical Procedures for flushing out the engine, tranny, etc. and attach them to your post.

TQ

T,
I only know what I was told, that the 1000 mile service included draining all fluids and flushing the cases before refilling. An old bike mechanic I used to know always advocated flushing the cases with solvent and that's what I assumed was done. When it comes to bikes I'm a pretty good gunsmith. And no, it wasn't Syn3 that went in. They didn't have the Mobil 1 V-Twin I wanted but did have Amsoil products so I settled for that this time around.

John

IMO flushing the engine or trans went out with the older cars before the detergent oils came into play, Especially with a solvent. Nothing but OIL should go in any compartment or you end up with residual solvent in the sump of the engine and other areas.

I can't believe that a dealer would go this far on any bike, you're luck with most of them if they remember to install the oil in the engine without a problem.

Back