free website stats program new bike probs. | Harley Davidson Forums

new bike probs.

Sco0tter

My 2010 FXDC has about 1300 miles on it now.
Before I hit the thousand mile mark it started haveing starter issues.
it would turn over but wouldn't fire up. after trying two or three times it'd fire. it would pick and choose the time and place to do this with no rhyme or reason. at 1000mi. service dealer said they fixed it by "upgrading the computer". this however didn't fix it and now it also cuts out for a sec as i'm riding. and the straw that made me take to the dealer was after i got gas and finally got it started, about half mile down the road it just cut out on me. didn't stall but had no power to the rear. pulled over and messed with throttle for min then it started working again.
so my dealer has had it for a week and a half now, can't figure out what's wrong.
does any one have any ideas?
my friends say i should ask for replacement bike, i don't know about that but when should i ask about warranty issues?
thanks for the help.

Did it have any codes? When you say you messed with the throttle what did you do? When you say it cut out but didn't stall do you mean it was still running with no power going through transmission? Try to give as much information as you can. Welcome to the forum.

This may sound strange for a new bike but check your spark plug gap. Close it a bit and it should cure all your problems.

I should have put this in my previous post. If your dealer checks the error codes it will show the misfire but provided all the sensors are ok it wont show what caused it. That means it can only be plugs, leads or coils causing the problem and plug gap will more than likely be the culprit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That means it can only be plugs, leads or coils causing the problem and plug gap will more than likely be the culprit.

Not 100% true. Anything that causes a lack of combustion is labeled a miss/fire. That means the lack of fuel would also kick out a miss-fire code.
The ECM does know if an electrical pulse was sent to the injector but does not know if a shot of fuel was actually injected.

I would not go back to the dealership until I checked for codes myself. It could be something as silly as a new defective crank sensor. Then let the dealership fix it.

Yes, the bike is pure stock, no mods nor nothin'.
I am new to HD so I didn't know how to check codes but since dealer has had it I would assume they have looked at them by now.
Now that I know about them I will check myself.

When I say I messed with the throttle I mean that I was rolling on and off the throttle trying to get the bike moving again. I do recall that the engine did not sound right, more like a honda than a harley, but it was responding to the throttle just no power to the tranny. But after a couple mins of rolling on and off whatever issues or blockages it had seemed to take care of themselves because the engine "came back to life". But the engine light was on the rest of the ride. I didn't dare shut it off until I got back home.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
It really, really sux having a new bike stuck in the shop but I guess its a learning experience. If everything was hunky dorey the whole time then I wouldn't learn nuthin!

If you don't have the bike in your hands don't bother asking the dealership if they checked for codes. That will only look silly. If after a week and a half they still can't figure it out, I would take the bike to a different dealership.

Sounds to me if they don't even have an action plan, all they are going to do is hack up the bike trying to find out what is wrong.

Back