free website stats program New bike probally another mechanical failure. | Harley Davidson Forums

New bike probally another mechanical failure.

Aerodawg

I bought a 2010 fatboy lo in April, 1st day I had it the rear brake locked up had to take it back to the dealership to get it fixed and it was covered by the warranty. two weeks ago took my bike in for the 1000 mile checkup, had everything changed to synthetic, when I got home from riding it back from the dealership noticed a lot of oil specks all over the bike on both sides and the front lower part and the horn cover with oil on it, my first thought was they just did a poor job of cleaning, I know if too much oil is added it can come out the air filter, so that was in the back of my mind as well, or maybe something was not tightened. So I wiped the bike down real good so no specks was showing and took it for a test ride around the block came home and it was still clean, parked it on papertowels to see if any oil was leaking and not a drip, with all the rain couldn't ride for the last 2 weeks and finally this week took it to work. During my break walked out to the bike and noticed the flecks back on the bike, not as bad as riding back from the dealership, but a pretty good size oil drop was on my exhaust pipe directly under the oil filler cap. Rode home and took it out of the garage today to wipe it down, other than the oil drop stain was a few specks on the air filter, but when I got too the left side of the bike the horn cover had a pretty good amount of oily film on it, looked like maybe it had dripped oil probally while i was at work, so I wiped everything down again, saw no visible oil leaks, and down under the filter it was oily again. I've only rode the bike 100 miles since the service, So I called the dealership and will have to take it in next week due to my work schedule, they said they will give it a good checkup, I told him I was thinking too much oil had been added but he said it sounds like my rockerbox is broke since the left side of the bike is getting oil on it and he said its covered by warranty as well if thats the problem. This is my first Harley and second problem with only 1400 miles on the bike, my old bike (now its my wifes bike (Honda) whick is 4 yrs old has yet to have a single problem. Can I expect problems to continue like this? I really love the bike and its hard to even try to ride my other bike as it seems like its a playtoy. Also any idea how a rockerbox gets broke? he said its a seal and he has them in stock. Thanks for reading this and for any replies I receive.

Smitty thanks for replying, The rear brake was actually a factory defect, a pin was not installed correctly and must have fell out and let the pad drop and it locked up on me on my 1st ride. never thought about the forks just went and looked at the bike again and can see oil residue from the frame under the handle bars all the way down the frame to the oil filter, now I know what what was spraying me the other night when I was riding home lol, in day time its usually the ac dripping from the car in front but at night I had no vehicle in front of me.lol..:small3d007:

A few Questions?? 1, When the bike was serviced if too much oil was added and it blows out the airfilter would the spray/splatter be able to reach the horn cover on the other side? there is more oil residue on the left side than the right side. 2. If it turns out to be the rockerbox seal was it because too much oil was added? If not what causes a rockerbox seal to break?
I cannot find the leak, I cannot see any runs or drips on the engine and it seems to happen after the bike has been driven more than 15 miles, short trips don't produce any splatter I am completely baffled, also not a drop of oil on my garage floor. If anybody ever has put too much oil and had it come out the air filter I would like to hear your details.
The bike goes back on Wed to the dealership and this whole week I have been dissapointed as the weather was pretty good. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.:(

I try to ride everyday that I can, if the weather channel says 50% + rain then I drive as it usually rains then. I also don't drive if there is going to be ice on the road. Other than that I'm on the bike unless its broke as what is happening now with my new bike. The heat don't bother me riding, and I have plenty of cold weather gear for nov and dec....Jan/Feb r the only 2 months where my bike probally gets rode maybe once/twice a week at most. I just love having that wind hitting me in the face, its my freedom, my stress reliever from work.

I try to ride everyday that I can, if the weather channel says 50% + rain then I drive as it usually rains then. I also don't drive if there is going to be ice on the road. Other than that I'm on the bike unless its broke as what is happening now with my new bike. The heat don't bother me riding, and I have plenty of cold weather gear for nov and dec....Jan/Feb r the only 2 months where my bike probally gets rode maybe once/twice a week at most. I just love having that wind hitting me in the face, its my freedom, my stress reliever from work.

I understand! I'm not quite as dedicated as you but we should get together sometime since we live so close!

Dawg - I with you here brother!! Had a hernia repaired a week ago and I'm dieing to get back on my ride!!! Momma won't even let me look at it though, cause she knows what WILL happen!!

Dawg - I with you here brother!! Had a hernia repaired a week ago and I'm dieing to get back on my ride!!! Momma won't even let me look at it though, cause she knows what WILL happen!!

get well wishes..sent... heal quickly ..ride safe...... :14:

Hope you get well soon, Take it easy and you"ll be back on the bike soon enough, But I feel for ya I stare at my bike each nite I come home and am counting down the days to where I can ride again. Glad I didnt ride today though, we were clobbered with rain today, would've been a wet ride home for sure :D

If anybody ever has put too much oil and had it come out the air filter I would like to hear your details.

Aerodawg have you opened your air cleaner and inspected it for oil? Have you checked your oil level? I think that would tell you if it was overfilled. Good luck. :cheers

Back