free website stats program New bike dead already... | Harley Davidson Forums

New bike dead already...

jaleschus

On Sunday I bought my first Harley, a 2009 883 Low. I got it from the HD dealer near my house, it was last years demo so it was basically brand new. I got home, road if for a bit and headed over to a friends house (leaving the bike). Got back about 3-4 hours later and noticed I left the keys in the on position…Battery was dead and would not start. I got a battery tender the next day, plugged it in. This morning the light on the battery tender went green and the battery tender was clicking. The bike has power but still will not start, it makes one or two clicks and doesn’t turn over at all. The power stays on good, doesn’t die when I try to start it. The dealer wants me to bring the whole bike to them, I’m don’t want to have to tow it already though…is this just a bad tender? Or should I have them change out the battery?

A battery tender is not intended to charge a dead battery, only to keep a healthy battery fully charged. Don't know why your tender is showing green but I would thing it would take a good charger designed for motorcycle batteries to do a proper re-charge. Good luck.

First thing I would do is make sure my batery is fully charged, a quick measurement with a volt meter will do that, normally you should see a rating between 12 and 13V. (remember to un-plug your tender before measuring and your key out of the ignition.)

Here is another case where it might not be a bad battery. The dealer might have had the battery out and the cables to it might not be tight. Everything will work fine except the starter because of the high amperage draw. Check the cables and you might be OK. Have fun with the new bike and ride safe!

Real simple..You need to borrow your buddies jump pack (hopefully you have a buddy at a mechanic shop).Jump your bike and get it going.The tender wont do this for you.

Cheep way out is to simply jump it with a car.It will fire right up.Most frown on this due to fluctuating currents messing with the electronics in the touring models.I dont see your bike having any issues if you do this.Its an 09..fully covered.

Sounds like the motor is seized, kidding, kidding The battery wouldn't go dead that quickly if its any good, so probably bad connection somewhere.

If the battery has drained and is not fully charged it will not start the bike. Jumping it will not help either.

CAREFULLY ,,,,,,, USING A LOW AMP CHARGER 2.5 amp NOT OVER 6AMPS and SET ON LOWEST AMP SETTING!!!!!!!(slow charge),,,,,,, CHARGE THE BATTERY,,,,,,,, AT LEAST 4 HOURS AND WATCH EACH HOUR AND LOOK TO SEE WHERE THE CHARGER SHOWS THE AMPS TO BE ,,,,,, AND FEEL THE BATTERY,,,,, IT SHOULD GET WARM TO THE TOUCH,,,,, DON'T TRY STARTING THE BIKE UNTIL THE BATTERY IS CHARGED at least 4 hours,,,,,,,,,,,,,
IT WILL START or it goes to the dealer for the FIX....

harleys usually WILL NOT START and run well with a LOW BATTERY......

AND YES the key left on WILL DRAIN A GOOD BATTERY......... DEAD!!!

signed....BUBBIE

Back