free website stats program New Bike Break in period | Harley Davidson Forums

New Bike Break in period

BuffaloBill

Hello Gang
May be a silly question I am picking up the new (09) RKC this week and I will be taking Glider's advice regarding the 30-60 mph sequence 10 times and want o change my oil at the 100 mile mark, This is my question I normaly switch to synthetic after the 1st 1000 miles Can I use synthetic in my 100 mile change after break in Just wondering if it is too slick for the engine to continue to break in the gears fot the 1st 1000 miles

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Merry Christmas
Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

Switch to a good quality synthetic as soon as you like. Many high end bikes and cars come from the factory with synthetic already installed!

You also mention "gears." I haven't read any methods of accelerating the transmission break in like we do the motors. I feel like this is simply a function of time and miles. Doesn't hurt to change your transmission fluid early to something like Spectro and take a good look at the drain plug magnet to inspect for excessive metal flakes or debris.

Enjoy that new ride!

100 mile change they all look to have excessive shavings on the magnets Doc.:s

I guess everyones's definition of "excessive" is different. I was expecting a LOT more than I actually had when I did my first transmission fluid change.

You can switch to SYN oil any time you want. Makes no difference what so ever.
Some engines come with in them from the factory now.
Break in weather you do the 30-60 mile thing or just follow the book bike will be fine.
New owners get way to wrapped around the axle about all this.
No madder what break in you do about 5K bike will wake up some more and will really start to run good around 30K
I have never changed oil at 100 miles never will. But if it makes you fell good then by all means change it. It is your ride do with it as you please.
Some change it at 100,500,1000 and ever 2500 after that makes no sense to me but what the heck it keeps ya busy changing oil.
It is far more important to take care of needed services when called on than worrying about doing all kinds of extra things.
Enjoy that new ride

Good Morning Smitty

I changed my oil this past weekend after the 130 mile mark on the speedo I tend to belive in what you stated The oil was a nice warm gold in both the crank case and tranny also looked very clean. Other then changing over to synthetic I feel that it was a waste of good oil. I normaly change to synthetic after the 1st 1000 miles I definately will do that should I purchase another new Harley down the road There was no evidence of metal shavings what-so-ever on the magnetic plugs.

Just FYI

Merry Christmas
BuffaloBILL

PS Also did the Heritage Bars switch-over and new Grips plus upgraded Headlight Bulb while had it apart New Bars feel great.

Back