free website stats program New Battery | Harley Davidson Forums

New Battery

jdaws

I will need a new battery for my Dyna ( as soon as the snow leaves and the flood is over) Just looking for suggestions and personal experience with replacements. :D

The best battery you can get is the hd one supplied by the hd dealer

Brian

Yuasa makes the batterys for most bike companys. HD in Fargo or Andy 'S i dealt with both shops have treated me well for parts.

I may differ from some of my brothers here on batteries. I just replaced mine with a HD battery for my model and year. $170. The battery I had in the bike before this one was an ODYSSEY Drycell PC 925LMJ. Comparing the two batteries, there is a noticable difference in the weight of the Odyssey compared to the HD version. We will see how long the HD battery holds up. The Odyssey lasted 4 1/2 years of daily use. I keep my battery plugged into a battery tender whenever it is in the garage.

Odyssey Drycell Motorcycle Batteries

TQ

First question is why a new battery in 3 years they should last at least 5 years and many go 6 and 7.
For a battery to only last 3 years would rase question on how it was cared for when bike was not ridden and if connection are good.

I remove the battery during storage and keep it in house where it will stay warm. It never sits more than a few days without riding. The last few weeks I rode it seemed to just barley crank fast enough to start. Cables tight and clean. ( I work on cars for a living I know the importance of good connections) I pulled it out for storage and put it on a low amp charge overnight. When I checked it the next morning it had gassed up the garage and was smoking hot.
Bad battery in my book.

If the charger you use is too powerfull then it will kill the battery fairly quickly a strong smell of sulpher is the end of the battery
often if there is a weak cell then the charger will keep pushing volts in to bring the battery up to charge this in turn will cause the fluid in the battery to evaporate causing the charge in the battery to drop and the charger tries to compensate by pushing in more charge etc etc and the battery is cooked

Brian

I use Deka batteries in everything. Deka is from what I have heard is the oem supplier to Harley. I do not like giving money to Harley Davidson.
Kemo

Got a new H-D battery in Sept. for $100.95 from dealer in Cincy (part # 65989-97C).
Happy with the fit in batt. box and screw inserts on terminals.
Last one lasted 6 years with no batt. tender. This time I put on the batt. tender plug so hoping it will last longer.
Always took batt. out for winter and brought inside and kept it charged.
H-D battery (hundred-dollar battery)

I use Deka batteries in everything. Deka is from what I have heard is the oem supplier to Harley. I do not like giving money to Harley Davidson.
Kemo

From what I have researched, Deka is the house brand that is made by East Penn Mfg. Co. who are the OEM suppliers for HD. The Deka has extra heavy duty terminals with top and side bolts. When it's battery time, I will be buying a Deka.

From what I have researched, Deka is the house brand that is made by East Penn Mfg. Co. who are the OEM suppliers for HD. The Deka has extra heavy duty terminals with top and side bolts. When it's battery time, I will be buying a Deka.

They also make our Die Hard batteries now, very good product with more CCA than our last supplier:s

Back