free website stats program NEW BATTERY RECOMMENDATION | Harley Davidson Forums

NEW BATTERY RECOMMENDATION

SGT ROCK

RE: 1999 FLHTC - POSE: I replaced my 5+ year old Interstate with an XTREAM AGM from Batteries + Bulbs almost 2.5 years ago. I ride all year long and always put the bike on a Battery Tender when I put it in the garage. Yesterday, I went to start the bike....2 seconds of :turn-over" then just clicks. Static voltage is 12.5V drops to 7.5V when I push the starter. I'm sure the battery is shot... $140.00 worth of MAde in China junk!!! Next battery will be "Made in the USA".

I'm thinking of getting a DEKA this time. $114.00 on Amazon. The HD dealer wants $179.00 for what I believe is the same battery.

Any input will be appreciated.

I have had pretty good luck/service from Deka for the last 20 years. The same battery from Battery Mart might be cheaper, and their shipping is fast.

Stay away from the dealers. they want way too much for a weaker battery than you can buy on line or elsewhere. Try battery source if you have one nearby. I was able to get a new battery for my softail for a little over $100, much higher CCA that the HD battery. I don't remember the brand but it is an X20 which is an AGM format. Perfect fit for my bike, they have a fitment guide online.

My last battery was a Deka, got it online but can't remember the site. They make a good product.

I went with a deka going on 2 years now. They are USA made by Johnson control. who also makes HD batteries. Good strong battery.

To the best of my knowledge, Johnson Controls no longer has a domestic battery operation. You will find something like "Marketed by Johnson Controls" on the batteries they sell. Deka, Big Crank, and Harley batteries (AGM) are made by East Penn Manufacturing. Have no idea who makes the Harley Lithium battery and have no plans to find out. I am presently using the Yuasa 500 CCA battery and it is performing much like the Deka/Big Crank batteries I have used before. At 18 months to 2 years old they begin to have trouble pushing through the first compression stroke on a hot start. Cold starts remain quite "peppy". May just go back to the Battery Mart Big Crank/Deka next time as it is a bit less expensive than the Yuasa. Have a stock 08 Road King with no compression releases. You guys with the newer bikes with automatic compression release probably don't have that hot start problem.

Back