free website stats program New Avon's on Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

New Avon's on Ultra

Rebyl

Banned
OEM Dunlops did 14000 km's, but changed to my favourite tyre ...the Avon Venom. I always ran these on my Valkyries and liked em. I run 36 front and 42 rear, which suits our roads and construction type which is mainly Tarseal and chip...no concrete roads down here and mostly lots a twisties...especially if you go look for them..:D
As soon as they were scrubbed in we hit one of our favourite back roads that is about 30 mile of constant twisties and the max speed you will get to is about 60 mph on two or three occassions, the rest as they say is riders heaven and the difference between the two brands is like chalk and cheese. My buddy who was on his 1800 Wing was blown away by just how quick the Ultra cut through the road, so I guess I have once again found my favourite tyre:newsmile01::newsmile01:
I know peoples tyre choice is subjective to roads and personal preferences and I am not saying the Avons are the best...just saying....yahoooooo

I'm about to put the same tire on. I did a lot of reading on various forums and found the Avon Venom to have a loyal following among previous owners.

put the Avon Venom on my 05 wide glide since day one, I don't get the mileage out of them like buddies with different tires, best so far is little over 5000 on rear, no hills or curves in south fl, I really like the way they handle

Can anyone tell me whether it is ok or not to run a different tire manufacture's tire on the back as opposed to the front, or should they both be by the same manufacture.

Reason I am asking is that with my 2007 Fatboy, OEM tires are 140/70 - 17 on the front and a 200/55 - 17 in the rear and I have not been able to find any other brand than Dunlop that makes these tires. Although I have found a rear tire by one or two manufactures, they don't seem to offer a compatible front to go with their 200mm/17 for the rear.

I considered changing brands on my 07 RK, I had almost 28,000 miles when I traded and had replaced the rear tire twice at around 10 k ea time but traded bikes before I did.

The 09 Ultra has the new harder in the center thread Dunlops that are supposed to last longer. That remains to be seen but they do ride great and handle better than the RK did but that could be a product of the 09 chassis.

Thanks Hobbit, that is my thoughts exactly. When I have changed tires, I have changed both even tho the fronts can usually go twice as long as the rears.

Thanks again for your comments!!

Can anyone tell me whether it is ok or not to run a different tire manufacture's tire on the back as opposed to the front, or should they both be by the same manufacture.

Reason I am asking is that with my 2007 Fatboy, OEM tires are 140/70 - 17 on the front and a 200/55 - 17 in the rear and I have not been able to find any other brand than Dunlop that makes these tires. Although I have found a rear tire by one or two manufactures, they don't seem to offer a compatible front to go with their 200mm/17 for the rear.

You can run any brand, front or back.

In my humble opinion you should never mix tyres on front and rear as each manufacturer has their own set of standards. The front tyre...Dunlop...... on my Ultra was only half worn and I chucked it in ther bin....to run both the new Avons at the same time...personally I believe anyone running different brands of tyres, front and rear, needs their heads read. Why take the chance to save a couple of dollars...really it's a no brainer....

Having two different "brand" tires may or may not be a problem. Depends on how hard you ride them. If you are a "sport rider" type who rides with in 8/10 of your ability, you should not run different brand combinations. But if you ride closer to what some consider touring or street riding pace of 6/10 of your ability, you will never feel or come close to any unsettled ride due to tread pattern or rubber formula induced miscues. :coffee

The main reason is, most of those rules were made with ill handling rolling stock, frames etc. poorly matched to high horsepower engines and tires had a long hard development cycle to catchup in the 1980's and 1990's. Nowadays, most all of that has changed, better materials, stiffer chassis designs and precise computer design and emulation programs have all made ill handling chassis/rolling stock pretty remote for normal street and touring applications. It is now merely a matter of choice and your rider comfort level.:D

If I used the old school of thought, I would have still had bias ply tires on my 1993 Katana, but guess what, when I switched to radial tires, the bike handled much better...I could heel the bike way over, and if I braked heavily in a turn, the bike would track the curve and not want to tuck or high side me into oblivion as compared to the stockers. I even was able to remove the steering stabilizer and not feel the front end wanting to go in a tank slapper on decel...when I ride now, my arms do not fight stiff steering when making fast tight turns.:small3d015:

Tire technology has improved so much the tire traction mismatch is more fault tolerant....that is the real no brainer -- it gives you choices! JMHO :newsmile090:

In my humble opinion you should never mix tyres on front and rear as each manufacturer has their own set of standards. The front tyre...Dunlop...... on my Ultra was only half worn and I chucked it in ther bin....to run both the new Avons at the same time...personally I believe anyone running different brands of tyres, front and rear, needs their heads read. Why take the chance to save a couple of dollars...really it's a no brainer....

Each manufacturer has their own set of standards, and that's why we shouldn't mix, huh? So it's ok to run two of the "lower standard" tires at the same time?

The front and rear of your bike grip the road differently anyway regardless of what tire you have on there. The back does more work and wears out faster. The bike is weighted differently at the front and back. Unless you put a rediculously sticky or hard tire on one of them, you will not notice much, if any, difference. One could actually make the argument that you should have different compounds on the front and rear to even out performance. Racing bikes and cars do this all of the time to even out wear during a run. I know we're not racing, but the principle remains the same.

Many people on this forum and others have mixed brands over and over. They've ACTUALLY DONE IT and not just decided it was dumb.

Back