free website stats program New 124" build: no response from injectors | Harley Davidson Forums

New 124" build: no response from injectors

x1rider

I finished re-building my 124" TC (2009 StreetGlide) and when came the time to fire it up, the engine was turning but wouldn't start.
I have spark, I have CPK input, I have fuel in the rail, but the injectors don't spray any gas.
After doing some logging with DataMaster, I saw that the VTD (Vehicle Theft Deterrent) value is 1 and the box is red. Also in the logs, there is no activity from the injectors whatsoever.
I did a vacuum test on the MAP sensor, it does work, CPK output is at 3.5V AC.
I tested each injector connector with a test light, it does light up when I probe the + side of the connector and the - side of the battery but it doesn't light up when I probe both sides of the connector itself, as if output was insufficient for the injectors to open.

What is the security mechanism? If the bike was on lockdown, would it even turn over? I can arm/disarm the alarm with my fob, so I guess I'm not locked out.

I tried a bit of starter fluid and it does want to start for a second, compression is at 190 and 191.

I'll perform some more continuity tests and output tests this weekend but right now I'm totally lost, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What's the fuel pressure at?

This is one of the tests I need to do over the weekend, I just need to figure out a way to hook the fuel line to a gauge.
I hear the pump priming, and I know I have fuel in the rail. I know I have "some" pressure because while testing the injectors out of the bike, I thought I could hold the injector in the rail with my fingers, yeah right, I ended up cleaning gas off my bike, my tools, and my work table.
I will test the actual pressure this weekend.

Does the alarm system kill the ignition coil? I do have sparks on both cylinders.

Delphi ECM? All factory stock electronics? No in-line injector fuelers added?

Alarm should inhibit cranking only.

Delphi ECM? All factory stock electronics? No in-line injector fuelers added?

Alarm should inhibit cranking only.

Yes, Delphi ECM, TTS MasterTune map, all factory stock electronics (except for the 58mm Screamin' Eagle TB and Screamin' Eagle 5.3gps injectors).
The crank is a stroked S&S and cylinders/pistons from Axtell.

I'm going to switch back to my stock throttle body this weekend, just to see.

The engine does turn over when I hit the starter button, so I guess alarm lockdown is out of the equation, right?

If immobilizer (FOB) is enabled, cranking will be inhibited. So my guess is, it's not an alarm issue.

What is DataMaster. Never heard of it. Is that a software function of TTS master tune map.?

If immobilizer (FOB) is enabled, cranking will be inhibited. So my guess is, it's not an alarm issue.

What is DataMaster. Never heard of it. Is that a software function of TTS master tune map.?

DataMaster is a logging software that comes with the TTS MasterTune package. I logged my startup attempts and there is no response from the injectors when the RPM goes up with then engine turning over.
I forgot to mention that I know the injectors work, they did click when I applied 12v with a powerpack to them.

I'm wondering, if the throttle body (fly by wire) is defective, maybe the ECM inhibits its signal to the injectors? I'm looking at all the possibilities.

I'm wondering, if the throttle body (fly by wire) is defective, maybe the ECM inhibits its signal to the injectors? I'm looking at all the possibilities.

My guess would be if the ECM has already seen that an external device (TPS, twist grip pot, etc) is failing, a code would be set. Check to see if any are present.

You said you hear the pump priming until the system relay drops out waiting for crank signal. That is good.
You said you have B+ on each side of the injector when testing to ground. That is good.
You said the tach went up while cranking thus indicating crank signal present. That is good.

I would guess you also have spark and at this point the ECM is in command of the injectors. So you do Not have any black boxes or add on boxes between the injector ground shot wires and the ECM, correct?

My guess would be if the ECM has already seen that an external device (TPS, twist grip pot, etc) is failing, a code would be set. Check to see if any are present.

You said you hear the pump priming until the system relay drops out waiting for crank signal. That is good.
You said you have B+ on each side of the injector when testing to ground. That is good.
You said the tach went up while cranking thus indicating crank signal present. That is good.

I would guess you also have spark and at this point the ECM is in command of the injectors. So you do Not have any black boxes or add on boxes between the injector ground shot wires and the ECM, correct?

I do not have a code. The only codes I got was "no combustion" when I was cranking the engine with the plugs out to build oil pressure and "injector low" when I unhooked them to do some testing. After clearing them, they were OK.
I have power to the pump and coil (I do have priming and spark) which are on the same relay as the injectors. I have 12v at the injector plug when grounded to the battery but only around 10v when probing both injector plug pins (I'll redo that test to make sure, last time the test light would stay off when connected to both injector plug pins, maybe a bad ECM ground not letting the full 12v through???).
I tested the CPK and got 3.5v AC while cranking and 0.94K ohms both at the CPK plug and at the ECM terminals 43/63.
No add on, just the stock ECM reprogrammed.

Back