free website stats program neverdown still has ign problem | Harley Davidson Forums

neverdown still has ign problem

neverdown

I have the after market ignition switch with the five posts on it. I located the three active, acces, bat, start ( this is a spring loaded 0ff/On/Start )
I connect the coil to Acces, right? as the Crane ign module should light when the key is turned on ( if I hook it to bat, it just stays on all the time ) Connect Bat to Bat, ( and the altenator to Bat ) and the starter relay ( the little male/female plug ) to start.
The starter Pos goes to Bat Pos, and the starter Neg is grounded from the starter mounting bolt to the Bat Neg. I have not hooked up any lights.

I turn the key on, the ign module is lit...turn to start, I get one loud ckick...thats all. Hit start again, nothing. The battery has full charge, I just had the starter and solenoid checked, both good.
Any ideas? No wires are grounding out, right now everything is out in the open. Sure would like to get her going, before summer is over, without spending lots of cash to have someone else do it.
Thanks.

Check the green wire on the solenoid when you turn the ignition on and hit the start button to see if you are energizing it. Also check your battery connections for tightness.

I will do that. Also, when I turn to Start and get a clank, if I keep turning the
key back and forth, about every third time, I get a clank. So I figure it"s a bad connection at the battery, or at the starter relay ( green wire) or a bad ignition switch?
Thanks, I will keep trying! Cause I"m NEVER DOWN!

: Persistance and Determination are ....heck, what's that word?

I dont have a testor ( I know, I will get one tomorrow ) so I cut the female plug off the green wire, turned the key to start and touched the wire to the male plug on the sterter relay, I get spark...so the ignition is providing juice? Bad relay?

I dont have a testor ( I know, I will get one tomorrow ) so I cut the female plug off the green wire, turned the key to start and touched the wire to the male plug on the sterter relay, I get spark...so the ignition is providing juice? Bad relay?

Assuming the plug you cut off is the one on the solenoid end and without pressing the starter button and only turning the key on, there should be no power at that end of the wire which would indicate a bad relay or a ground on the circuit that energizes it in the start button side holding the relay up (energized)

I have no start button. It is a key activated ignition. I turn it to start.
And yes, That is the wire I cut, I want to rewire the connection anyway.

sounds like you need to do a voltage drop test. This test requires a digital voltmeter. If you do not have one try this . Operate the ign switch in start mode when you hear the starter clunk hold the switch in that position and feel for heat at the components and connections the faulty one ahould start to heat up. be careful not to hold the switch too long. When you find a source of heat you have found resistance in the circuit.
This is not the best way to test a circuit but sometimes can be effictive and costs nothing. GOOD LUCK.

Back