free website stats program neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

neutral

pinoy

i have a 96 roadking,i cant put the bike in neutral after i started the bike.does anybody know what causing this? thanks..

What do you mean. You only have a choice of 1st or 2nd when looking for neutral?

But with the engine off can you find & put it in neutral.

Does the clutch lever disengage properly?

Wrong fluid or overfilled primary?

what i mean when i stop at the stop light,i cant find the neutral.yes i can find the neutral when the engine is off.thanks

As hoople said incorrect fluid Or too much fluid in the primary could cause this type of issue also check for correct clutch adjustment if all that fails to make it easier then raise the revs to about 2000 and you may find neutral can be selected much easier

Brian

Last edited:
From your description, it could be a few things. First of which is an over full primary oil level, next is clutch adjustment and then there's the primary opil itself that you are using. Poor quality gear lube or a heavier than needed lube will also cause what you are experiencing.

A quality lube will make a noted improvement like Spectro gear oil.

One other thing, is the heel and toe shifter linkage hardware in good shape and adjusted properly? Was this a problem steadily getting worse or sudden? Could have internal linkage/ratchet wear or damage...depending on your shifting habits and mileage.

Last edited:
One other thing, is the heel and toe shifter linkage hardware in good shape and adjusted properly? Was this a problem steadily getting worse or sudden? Could have internal linkage/ratchet wear or damage...depending on your shifting habits and mileage.

Glad you brought this up. I have been fighting with the problem also and new sleeves, shaft and heel toe shifter linkage finally solved the problem. Well almost. I did not replaced the back sleeve as this would have involved removing the the clutch and compensator. Shifting has improoved greatly. Finding neural has also improoved. Maybe next year I will give it a go.

Removing the transmission cover really helped in finding the soluton as you could see how it all worked.

I found a lot of riders are Afraid to keep the clutch cable adjustment on the Tight side... Thinking Loose is better when it is not..... I make sure that on my 09 FLHR that the cable adjuster clearance at the clutch handle is no more than 1/16 3/32 and Not a full 1/8 inch...

I also like the 1/2 turn Out adjustment on the clutch pack when adjusting it...

Most of the time when I first start my bike Cold.... Then squeeze the clutch in for ten seconds,,,, it shifts into first with NO clunk.(.) (Redline Shockproof Heavy)

Keeping the adjustments on that TIGHT side of the 1/2 turn out and under 1/8" at the clutch handle, hardly ever a clunk as the clutch usually disengages with the "full throw" I allow my clearances...
These adjustments I use, allow for a better separation of the clutch plates and I like that...

signed....BUBBIE

OH Yes, this is how I make finding Neutral EASY...

:Dmy shovel does not go into neutral easy at lights . i found that if i try when the bike is moving at a crawl i can get it out of gear. something i learned to live with. on a positive side your ready to move if u dont like the situation ur in :D

Back