free website stats program Neutral light switch on a 4 speed | Harley Davidson Forums

Neutral light switch on a 4 speed

I have a 4 speed, ratchett top tranny that has a neutral switch on the back. As I did a custom wire job, I'm not sure how to wire the switch. I've been in numerous catalogs and can find the switch, but I can't find any means of connecting the switch. Am I missing something? Is there a special boot that fits over the switch? Any small direction will help (or at least keep me busy for a while).

The neutral switch depending on the type and bike, should be one wire on yours I believe and it is a ground circuit that when in neutral switch supplies the ground to light the light. If it is the two wire switch which isn't too common , then reverse that and it may supply power to the light through the switch.

It's hard to say without knowing what bike and year you have if you are talking about the 05 listed or your project bike.

It would be best to get the factory manual for your bike and it will show you the wiring in the back of the book so it is wired correctly.

Last edited:
Glider,

The switch that I'm working on is for the Knucklehead and is on a ratchet top 4 speed. The actual switch is OEM #33900-59C, which is suitable for FL models from '59 thru '64 and FX models from '73 to '79. This specific switch does not have the terminals or the screw connectors. The actual electrical path is not my problem. My question is this: is there a special boot or connector to be used with this switch? I've been through about six different catalogs and have found the actual switch, but have not been able to locate any specific connector. The wiring diagrams that I'm working with for the build are for older models that don't have the neutral switch. I'm at a loss, unless someone knows what to do, or I can find a similar tranny with the wiring intact.

Thx - Mike

Look something like this?:D

Fits 59-64 FL, FLH, L73-E79 FX, FXE, FXS, FXEF, FXST, 87-97 all 5 speeds

33900-59C.jpg

I don' think they had a boot on those switches but check here for NOS for that bike.

http://www.nosparts.com/database/parts/Section_transmission/Description_/Page_10

Also give this dealer a call (adventure HD) they have it listed and can tell you if there is a boot available for it.

Toll Free: 1-800-828-2875

Last edited:
There has to be a connection to wire it into the circuit, a push on type of plug, it's not just a plug for the trans. Contact the people in the number I posted or your local HD dealer. They may have to order it but at least you'll get the right one for the switch.

Thanks for the info Glider. I'll be going to the dealer real soon...kissed the rear end of a Blazer the other morning. A real eye opener. This is my 5th crash...does that mean I'm an Ace or an A$$?

Back