free website stats program Network security key? | Harley Davidson Forums

Network security key?

dogdad

I'm trying to get my Linksys box wireless connected to my laptop. Was working before. I have internet directly to my laptop. When Linksys is hooked up, no internet and when I try and connect it ask me for "network security key",,,,anyone know how I can find this?

The network security key is what you have programmed/encoded in the router for the IP/WAN code to a security level verses "Unsecured" to prevent others from utilizing your private network. Sorry I may not be very much more help here, as I "HAD" a Linksys Wireless Router...tried using their "customer service" and spent two hours of "customer DIS-service" before I packed everything back up and returned it!

Got a Belkin Wireless Router...unpacked, hooked up, called customer service, was running in 10 minutes. Hate to say it, coming from a customer service and computer background: "Sometimes the path of least resistance is to let the manufacturer SELL YOU their best or send them packing...and just be a GOOD customer. Just saying, my time is more valuable then their customer service IF it is not good...Customer satisfaction MATTERS!!!

Last edited:
I'm trying to get my Linksys box wireless connected to my laptop. Was working before. I have internet directly to my laptop. When Linksys is hooked up, no internet and when I try and connect it ask me for "network security key",,,,anyone know how I can find this?

Check the router for a sticker. May have a Network ID and Key Info.

Go to the web browser on a wired PC and type in: http:192.168.1.1
Then go to the tab WIRELESS, under this will appear another row of tabs, click on WIRELESS SECURITY.
Listed under this will be the section Passphase: Key 1 will be your key or passphase that you are looking for..

Once you have the key, you can get another computer to install on your.
wireless network..

Last edited by a moderator:

Then go to the tab WIRELESS, under this will appear another row of tabs, click on WIRELESS SECURITY.
Listed under this will be the section Passphase: Key 1 will be your key or passphase that you are looking for..

wireless network..

Tried doing this and comes up saying "server not found". Thanks for the help though.

If you have the manual for your router, it should list the standard key they all come with. It will also tell you how to reset it. Then you can enter the matching key into your laptop.

wireless network..

Sorry,,went to Bing and found the page. Typed in the word which I think is the generic Security word I need "admin",, but doesn't fix the problem.

Technical support for Linksys may be able to walk you through it...even though my experience was about 2 years ago and it may have improved since then. Generally they can have you identify your IP address and help you assign the Network ID, Key Info, Pass codes and security level...it does take patience, time and a good Linksys tech support person.

If it came out of the box with a network security key there should be a lable on the bottom of the router with the key on it may be marked as wep or wpk key can be 10 or 24 characters depending on the encryption level of the security
if that does not help plug an ethernet cable into router and laptop then go to a dos window on the laptop you cand do this by typing cmd then press enter in the search or run box depending on operating sysytem
once at the dos command prompt type ipconfig and press enter look at the results and find the gateway address
launch your internet browser and type the gateway address into the address bar in your browser should start with 192.168. however some start with 10.1. that should bring you to a login prompt for the router normally routers use admin as the login name and admin or password for the password but the documentation should tell you what it is
you will then need to poke about in the settings to find the wireless security settings and change them to something you know then save settings and log out
and try to connect using the wireless

Brian

May want to try reseting the router to default settings, there is a button in the back to do that and the intructions should tell you how long to hold it in form.

If you plug directly in, as said above, go to 192.168.1.1, this will give you the prompt, ID admin and password blank, or id administrator and password admin (they have changed these over the years. If you enter it wrong you will get the error you see.

If you have the disk for the router, I encourage you to plug in the router direct and follow the CD intructions they are usually pretty good. I have several Linksys routers and have had great success with them, just have to know what you are doing.

Back