free website stats program need windshield advice, new to batwings | Harley Davidson Forums

need windshield advice, new to batwings

little-T

Help, i just traded my road glide in for a new ultra limited, had my first ride in the rain and the stock windshield (EDIT)
. It stops the wind but it seemed like the rain just floated down and hit me in the face, i am 6'4" tall and i have a corbin classic single that sets me back a few inches, I do not mind looking through a shield or over the shield is ok also.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
My best sollution is that I have a face shield for my helmet when it rains...
I also invested in a windshield from Long Riders. I got a 10" md Ultra on my ride and it really pushes the wind over me and deflects a lot of bugs and rain too. Not perfect, but it works for me. Their windshields were quite reasonably priced as well.

I have a 2010 FLHTK. I replaced the stock shiled with a 10" light tint Windvest. It works great! The manufacturer claims it acts as if it were 2" taller and my experience is that it does.

i have a 9" Freedom Shield and it works great but a face shield is the way to go in rain if you want to stay somewhat comfy and be able to see.

I bought a Klock Werks 8.5 windshield of of Ebay and it is the best 200 bucks I have ever spent on the UC... I look about 4 to5 inches above it and my glasses don't flutter at all... I tried the 6 inch, 8 inch & 10 inch custom cut(10 Wasn't to bad) but nothing will beat the Klock...JMHO:D:D

Some say the height of a batwing windshield should be even with the riders mustache. That's what I have (10") on mine. It seems in the rain, there is enough airflow around the eyes to keep the rain off and doesn't let the mist blow in from sides and below. I wear glasses and have used everything from 4" to the stock. Like motor oil, there's lots of opinions.:p

The stock windshield on my Ultra was fine until I added a backrest to my Mustang seat. This sat me up enough to where I had to go for a windshiled that was an inch or two taller.

congrats on the bike. May I ask why you went from a roadglide to the batwing electra since the glide ultra is now available? To answer your question you may have to experiment. personally I dont like looking through a shield especially in rain. I find it easier to clear my faceshield on my helmet than clean the bike shield to see the road ahead clearly...ymmv. Anyway, I currently use a Cee Bailey 12 inch which is about the height of a stock 9 but truly does act like a taller shield due to the flip. I am 6'2" and have considered going with the 15 (like a stock 12 height) but like the height of this one so much I havent jumped yet. I havent ridden a LOT in rain but it is pretty moderated by this shield. The Electraglide batwing puts the screen pretty far ahead of you and then there is the air rushing up between the fairing and the lowers. Lots of folks claim they get more rain from there than over the top of the windshield...long way of saying you may have to experiment for what works for you.

best of luck in your search,
Phil

I always have the faceshield on my helmet, so I don't like looking through two rain-spattered shields, so I have a shorty 8" that I can look over. It throws most of the air over my head, but not rocks or some of the rain. It seems to me that most of the wind that hits my chest and face (not much) comes from underneath.

I can relate with the problem of wind and rain from underneath... I had to get the Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle part # 58520-79TC. It really has a significant effect on the breezes from down under. JMHO... :eek:)

Back