free website stats program Need Some Help Please-Oxygen Sensors | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Some Help Please-Oxygen Sensors

Ride4Two

Hi everyone. I have come here to ask a question that has probably been brought up before, but I have had soooooooo many conflicting stories, I am getting really frustrated. The questions are as follows:

1) I have a brand new set of V&H BigShots Staggered (part# 17907) pipes sitting in my room for install. I also have a AN Big Sucker. My bike is an 08 Deluxe with efi. These pipes do not have the 02 sensor ports in them. I was told by a gentleman at Dobeck Performance ( and it was not George as many of you speak highly of) that I did not need to use my 02 sensors while utlizing the techlusion model # 1250ST. The gentleman indicated that the sytem has a "Bypass" built in to compensate for not using the 02 sensors.
Thats why I bought these pipes.

2) Well, If this is true, what do I do with the original 02 sensors?

3) If this is not something that you people recommend, I'm stuck with a new set of pipes, as a couple of guys that do welding around here said they would not touch the pipes to put 02 sensor ports in. These guys may not be experienced enough to try it maybe. It looks like if I have to have sensor ports welded in, who ever does it is going to have darn well know what their doing because of placement.

4) If the consensus is I do in fact need to install the 02 sensors, where do I get the correct ports to weld in ? I looked at the stock ports on the bike, as they look to be around a 45° angle. I am not for sure what angle the V&H pipes would require.

5) Last but not least, If bypassing the sensores is an ok method, what impact on the motor does this have, if any.

Sorry for the long drawn out story, but I do not want to do the wrong thing here and screw something up.
Thanks to all that can offer their help and opinions on this subject. I appreciate it.
Patrick

You install the bypass resisters in the end of the harness that come with the TFI after unplugging them and you can leave the 02's in the pipes and secure the leads or go this route.

Being you have the new pipes without the sensor bungs, no problem, just install the resisters in the harness ends and secure them with a tie wrap.

02 Sensor Plugs - Harley Davidson Community

The TFI does not use the O2 sensors, they are disconnected when it is in use. I would leave the sensors in the stock pipes in case you ever need/want to reinstall them. Most people coil up the sensor cables after they are disconnected and zip tie them in place so they can remove the TFI and hook everything back up like stock if there is any question about warranty issues with the dealer.

Personally, I would check with the dealer you got the pipes from and see if you can exchange them for a set with the sensor ports in place.

Glider, from what I hear, the 02 sensors help the ecm monitor fuel control at cruising speeds. By placing the "By Pass Resisters" at the ends of the harness, does this cause any problems with the motor? Man, I just don't want to hose anything up. Maybe you can bring me up to speed on what effect is created by not using the 02 sensors (if any ay all).

Jake, I bought these pipes off evilbay. So, I cannot send them back. I got them for a super price, so I did not think I was doing a bad thing here. I would not have bought them if Dobeck had indicated their unit was not designed to work with my application at hand.

Just to add some info:

Innovate Motor Sports sells the 18mm SS bungs if you ever want to weld them in a set of pipes. As far as position goes, as long as they are not installed so water vapor will collect (4-8 o'clock position), you should be fine. Best position would be 11-1 o'clock position. Two or one wire narrow band o2 sensors can be installed very close to the exhaust port. If I was no longer using the factory o2 sensors, I would remove them and plug the hole. Exposing the sensors to continuous rich mixtures (as you would be doing) can coat them. I am not saying it is a "must",, it's just something I would do. You can use the NAPA plugs or Innovate Motor sells some nice SS plugs also.

Glider, from what I hear, the 02 sensors help the ecm monitor fuel control at cruising speeds. By placing the "By Pass Resisters" at the ends of the harness, does this cause any problems with the motor? Man, I just don't want to hose anything up. Maybe you can bring me up to speed on what effect is created by not using the 02 sensors (if any any all).

No problems with the engine at all.

The TFI takes over the adjustment of the fuel through the entire fuel curve and the 02 sensors and systems are inop after the TFI is installed.

Just to add some info:

Innovate Motor Sports sells the 18mm SS bungs if you ever want to weld them in a set of pipes. As far as position goes, as long as they are not installed so water vapor will collect (4-8 o'clock position), you should be fine. Best position would be 11-1 o'clock position. Two or one wire narrow band o2 sensors can be installed very close to the exhaust port. If I was no longer using the factory o2 sensors, I would remove them and plug the hole. Exposing the sensors to continuous rich mixtures (as you would be doing) can coat them. I am not saying it is a "must",, it's just something I would do. You can use the NAPA plugs or Innovate Motor sells some nice SS plugs also.

Dobeck also sells the plugs. Chris is more than happy to send them out. I also vote for removing the O2 sensors and storing them for future use. It not only saves them from wear but it looks cleaner also.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. Some stress has been taken away. That means its time for a beer. If any of you guys are in daytona for bike week or biketoberfest, pm me and we'll meet up for your free drink of choice. Thanks again.
P.S. I'll give Chris a call tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have her back on the road soon.

Back