free website stats program Need some help after cam tensioner replacement, PLEASE! | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some help after cam tensioner replacement, PLEASE!

iamdent

I finished changing my 06 to hydraulic tensioners last night, I installed the new hydraulic tensioner plate and upgraded to 204 cams. Used Se adjustable pushrods and installed new lifters. I had an Indy press the cams into the plate and install the in cam chain. Everything went together great, but when I try to start I get no run. It never even acts like it wants to fire. I have checked the CKP per the manual, checked and installed new plugs, checked the battery charge, disconnected the Dolbeck tuner so as to start on stock EFI settings. I ran a compression check and have 120 psi on the front cylinder and 122 psi on the rear. Engine turns over great, smooth, no funny rattling, clicking, banging, nothing. It just won't run. Any suggestions?

Have you checked spark? Do you hear the fuel pump buzzing? Spray some flammable brake clean into the throttle body (be careful, use short sprays, sometimes it can backfire & shoot out a flame). If it starts, look at the connectors on the fuel injectors. Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

Toby

I have checked spark, it is good, I went ahead and changed plugs anyway, they firing good. Fuel pump is running, had lots of fuel in cylinders when we pulled plugs. You thing starting fluid is the way to go?

This may be a silly question but did you set your timing for the pinion gear to the rear cam drive gear. Also the timing for the front & rear cams. You didn't mention any of that. Just thinking.
Ray C.

The indy set the cam timing gears when he pressed in the cams, he installed the cam bearing retainer and the inner chain tensioner. The outter chain sprockets will only go on one way since there are flats on the outer shafts and sprockets. So if the inners are timed right there really is no setting the outters, and no unfortunately I did not check the other guys timing marks.

As long as the Indy aligned the two timing marks on the inside sprockets when he pressed the cams in, and then the three timing marks were aligned on the outside when installing the sprockets there, the engine is timed.

See here for a pictorial on this:

TQ's Engine Build

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Well I cannot for the life of me see anything else that it could possibly be but the inner cam sprockets not being timed right. So that being said, talk to you guys later, I'm goin' in!

OK So I'm a total DUMMY, not just a little bit but a whole lot! Went in to the cam chest again took the spindle sprocket and the outter cam sprockets off realigned everything. PAID CLOSE ATTENTION TO LITTLE DOTS ON THE GEARS. Put it all back together, adjusted push rods AGAIN (that makes 6 times), added lost oil cranked it over. Started on the first turn over. WOW I feel stupid. Thanks everyone for the advise offered.:tounge

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the engine temp sensor plugged in? If it has too much fuel the plugs might be getting fouled, & even though you put in new plugs, if you didn't get the cylinders dried out first they could have fouled out. Unplug the fuel pump or the relay so the bike is not putting in any fuel. Try to start it, as the cylinders get dried out it might try to start & then get to the point it won't even try. That is ok, the cylinders need to get all the fuel out. Then spray a flammable brake clean (I use that because starter fluid can foul out the plugs easier & not good as a fuel to run the engine, just my opinion). If it starts & you can do short sprays to keep it running, then it is a fuel problem (not enough or too much). If the engine temp sensor is bad or unplugged, it might be telling the ECU that it is cold & over spray the injectors acting like a choke. On my 99, I used a propane torch to dry out the plugs & cylinders, as it was doing the same thing. Too much fuel & too wet in the cylinders. I had to do it a couple of times before I got it to run. But it was also 40 degrees outside. Could have been a bad connection on mine since the main thing that I did was to check the engine temp sensor with a digital multimeter. It tested good so I put it back on.

Toby

OK So I'm a total DUMMY, not just a little bit but a whole lot! Went in to the cam chest again took the spindle sprocket and the outter cam sprockets off realigned everything. PAID CLOSE ATTENTION TO LITTLE DOTS ON THE GEARS. Put it all back together, adjusted push rods AGAIN (that makes 6 times), added lost oil cranked it over. Started on the first turn over. WOW I feel stupid. Thanks everyone for the advise offered.:tounge

Don't beat yourself up, we have all been there. Congrats on sticking with it and getting your bike back up and running. Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know how you solved the problem.

Back