free website stats program need some advice or help | Harley Davidson Forums

need some advice or help

chuck60

I bought vance and hines quite baffles for my python pipes on my softail classic, there to long, although the dealer says there the right ones, so would it hurt if I cut about 1" off of the end that goes toward the front, that is about how much I need to cut, to make them work. Also what do you use to compress the fiberglass so you can push the in. Thanks for any info you can give me.

There's so many different V&H quiet baffles it's hard to tell. I do believe the dealer made a mistake, and should reorder the correct baffles.
If your new baffles have a plug in the end, then holes around a pipe, sawing will make them straight through & negate "quiet". Also, most baffles have a flair at the inlet end, so they fit into the muffler body correctly.
Many baffles come wrapped with masking tape to compress the packiing. Heat burns the tape and the packing expands.

I don't want to cut the plug out, I'm talking about cutting the flared end, at the end of the baffle that goes in first.
WAP.gif

JMO, but if they don't fit I'd take back and order somewhere else. Dealer isn't the best source to aftermarket so go straight to the pipe or baffle manufacturer. They'll get it right.

Once you cut the ones you got...no turning back on refund and they still might not fit/work.

IMO cutting a 'quiet baffle' will sorta defeat the object of it being a 'quiet baffle' - as others have said take them back and get the correct ones - don't bodge it and scarper as it will never be right :(

If your dealer ordered them for you and he says they will fit take them to him and tell him to make them fit or order the right ones. I don't see the problem, this is the dealers issue. IMO

I agree with most here, they should fit without modifications. Just take them back and order from somewhere other than the dealer. I have always had good luck with Dennis Kirk.

Back