free website stats program Need oil for primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Need oil for primary

67wizard

I have HD formula+ in the primary now but it checks low. I can't get any HD formula+ so what could I use in an emergency to fill it. I only need three or four oz's.
Thanks

The only way to check primary oil is to remove derby cover. Are you sure the primary is low???? Or are you performing a service interval and just do not have enough for the complete 38 oz.

I'd want to have the correct oil so I don't know what I'd recommend mixing with the Formula +

I'd make sure I had enough correct oil before draining.
Extra partial bottle won't break the bank to have on hand.

If you can not get any HD Formula +, Spectro Primary, or Red Line V-Twin Primary Case Oil, then any 85wt. chaincase lube will do in a pinch. But just check for a lube oil fit-for-purpose in a wet clutch application. If it is just a case of having to wait for the HD place to open next business day, then check with Momma and see what else is on the Honey Do list. If you just HAVE to go riding, then call some of your buddies and see if anyone has a bottle of HD Formula + you can beg, borrow, or buy from them.

TQ

Unlike engine and transmission Primary does not require or really benefit from
High tech or special oils and lube. Most seam to agree that while you can use a syn engine oil it is safer to avoid it . Some worry over it's effect on wet clutch in the long term.
Many use standard engine oils in primary and never have any problems with it.
More important than what you use is servicing it correctly.
Drain it and fill it with the amount recommended for you ride close it up and be done with it.
It is a good idea to go ahead and do your clutch adjustment while it is open.

I was adjusting the clutch when I discovered the low oil level. The HD shop say they just put in 1 quart.
I just wasn't sure if I could mix different oils.
Thanks

Last edited:
I was adjusting the clutch when I discovered the low oil level. The HD shop say they just put in 1 quart.
I just wasn't sure if I could mix different oils.
Thanks

I'd sure have a talk with the shop foreman...ABOUT using proper FULL Levels...

It would not hurt the thing to ride it to HD and LET THEM add what should of been there in the first place...

signed....BUBBIE

I don't think I'll use any ATF in my bike. I'll just add some non-syn oil to top it off. Next trip to town me and somebody in the HD shop will have a talk about this.

Just an update. Today I spoke with one of the service rep and was told they always put in a quart of oil in the primary, (mine takes 38 ozs) so far they have never had a problem. Sounds like a way to save money if you ask me. Any way I added 6 ozs to mine and now the level is where it should be. If Harley services your bike you might want to check the primary fluid, might want to check all fluid levels for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back