free website stats program Need input on a fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

Need input on a fatboy

GimmeFuel

I'm about to buy a 2004 Fatboy, all stock, and I would appreciate any feedback or info someone could provide for me about it. It's a big decision and I want to make the right one. Thanks.

I'm about to buy a 2004 Fatboy, all stock, and I would appreciate any feedback or info someone could provide for me about it. It's a big decision and I want to make the right one. Thanks.

Good luck with your bike!

Have it checked out carefully by someone that has experience with the earlier model TCs. There are two issues on the pre-2007 TCs that should be considered. First is the cam chain tensioning system used. These use spring loaded tensioners with a plastic shoes against the chains. There have been enough problems with this system that it merits attention.

Second, is the inner cam shafts support bearings. HD uses a cheap INA bearing that should be changed out to the Torrington alternatives as soon as there is a reason to get into the cam chest.

Here is some info on alternatives to upgrade the tensioners:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Good luck with your bike!

Have it checked out carefully by someone that has experience with the earlier model TCs. There are two issues on the pre-2007 TCs that should be considered. First is the cam chain tensioning system used. These use spring loaded tensioners with a plastic shoes against the chains. There have been enough problems with this system that it merits attention.

Second, is the inner cam shafts support bearings. HD uses a cheap INA bearing that should be changed out to the Torrington alternatives as soon as there is a reason to get into the cam chest.

Here is some info on alternatives to upgrade the tensioners:

TQ

I've got to add that this bike would not be just a toy. It is my PRIMARY means of transportation and I'm going to be putting miles on it as if it were a car. I need to know I can depend on it. Any thoughts?

I've got to add that this bike would not be just a toy. It is my PRIMARY means of transportation and I'm going to be putting miles on it as if it were a car. I need to know I can depend on it. Any thoughts?

You might consider swapping out the battery before it fails, and get a Battery Tender Jr. That way you can keep it plugged in whenever you park it. Helps to maintain the battery at full charge.

Check out the tires carefully. Usually get about two backs to each front. Some folks talk about getting in the low to mid teens on their tires, but I have never reached 10k. I don't like to push tires. Only got one on each axle!!

Doing regular fluid maintenance on the engine, tranny and primary goes a long way towards protecting the bike's drive systems. I personally do all three at the same time somewhere between 3000 and 5000 miles. Check this for fluids:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I have a 04 fatboy. I bought new from the dealer broke her in like I was told and was serviced from the dealer for the first two yrs.
After market V & H pipes and the carb is jetted. I do regular oil changes and the odd tweeking here and there. Tires battery adjust clutch. The worst problem with her was a map sensor this yr. quick fix. I ride her like I stole it. 31 000 km. never left me on the side of the road. Still running strong.
But the softtail is a counter balance motor not a rubber mount.
If you plan to ride alot this may not be the bike for you.
Long trips can be very uncomfortable. I have changed my bars and seat a few times and can now manage a 6 hr ride without (EDIT)
Something to think about, A rubber mount motor is a lot nicer ride.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:

How many miles are on it?
Make sure you look it over really good, and take it for a long ride, and inspect after, have know some people that gave a bike a bath to mask a oil leak.

I'm selling an 07 Fatboy on the "for sale" link in this forum...under "Selling 2007 Fatboy". Check it out.

Back