free website stats program Need help with wrecked 2017 xl1200 custom | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help with wrecked 2017 xl1200 custom

tleehy

My son was thrown down during a death wobble on Thanksgiving morning, he is still recovering. Bike took some major damage and he wants to repair it and get back to riding as soon as his leg will let him. What we know so far is all the tins are damaged as well as what we would expect. The motor will need a few things but nothing major. We both agree that the front forks are not worth inspecting and just need replaced, as well as the rims and tires.
What do we need to look closely at on the frame for where it could be bent
What front ends will interchange without modifications
Any other surprise areas that we need to closely inspect
Also any other things that we should consider other than totaling it and getting another one ( I know it would be cheaper but he doesn't want to be beaten by his first new bike)

Thanks for the help

tleehy,

My sympathies to your son and hope he gets totally well and back to riding. Going down at speed had to be miserable.

My first thought was that the Sportster is totaled. I had a bike get totaled due to the fork stop on the frame being damaged in a front end hit. Bike was still rideable but the labor costs were too extreme. That may be the case here.

But if he's truly interested in rebuilding, take a look at Ronnies HD microfiche. The fiche show the parts, what models they fit, and the part numbers and prices. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...avidson-Street-Bike-XL-1200C-1200-CUSTOM-(CT)

He may decide to let the bike go for parts, and replace. He well may be shocked at the prices if he has to go with all new.

Keep us posted.

tleehy,

My sympathies to your son and hope he gets totally well and back to riding. Going down at speed had to be miserable.

My first thought was that the Sportster is totaled. I had a bike get totaled due to the fork stop on the frame being damaged in a front end hit. Bike was still rideable but the labor costs were too extreme. That may be the case here.

But if he's truly interested in rebuilding, take a look at Ronnies HD microfiche. The fiche show the parts, what models they fit, and the part numbers and prices. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...avidson-Street-Bike-XL-1200C-1200-CUSTOM-(CT)

He may decide to let the bike go for parts, and replace. He well may be shocked at the prices if he has to go with all new.

Keep us posted.
Thanks for the sympathies. had broken collar bone in 2 places, several broken ribs both are now healed. minor road rash due to proper gear. still waiting for the ankle to heal up, pin, screws, plate etc. it was the most damaged. As far as the bike goes if he had insurance it would definitely be totaled. as it is he does not want to part it out and wants to fix it to a point with minor changes basically want to finish turning it into a bobber. I know there is parts bikes out there and will probably wind up buying a couple of them just to get it back on the road. I know of a couple that had a blown motor and they just parked them complete. If the frame is not twisted up then he wants to spend the time and more money than since to fix it. I am actually hopping that the frame is twisted then we can just put his motor in another bike and go on. sometimes you just cant reason with kids no matter what the age, or why they are thinking a certain way, it is what he wants to do and its his money so all I can do is help where I can. I will have to study the microfiche to understand how its showing what models it fits. Thanks for the help

Beaten by a bike? If it's actually cheaper to total it,I certainly would.

I would have no problem totaling it out myself. Kids have their own reason for why they want to do something. His money, His time, His choices. All I can do is to help him where I can and help inspect and repair. Glad its not my money, I would cut and run in a hurry

Last edited by a moderator:
Determining frame damage can be difficult. Consider what the bike did, was it a frontal impact, a long slide, tumbling, end over end, etc. Careful measurements side to side, top to bottom, all around should be done. Then VERY careful inspection of all welds inside and out for cracking. These new model bikes have a CANBUS electrical system with many sensors. Eliminating one connection (light, switch, etc.) can cause other problems, so interchangeability with some parts may not work. The parts microfiche will help. The first numbers of parts tell what it is, after the dash is what year it was modified, the letter indicates what revision it is. Some different part number parts will interchange. Another helpful source is Dennis Kirk, J&P Cycles and other catalogs. They usually tell what models/years parts will fit. He will know quite a bit about XL's before he is done.

Back