free website stats program Need help with trouble codes | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help with trouble codes

shizzomynizzo069

Account Removed
I have a 2001 E Glide Classic. It is not fuel injected.

I read out the TSM trouble code and it comes up 31. Which is supposed to be related to the alarm.
I DO NOT have an alarm.

Anyone have any ideas? Someone said that the battery might be low...not sure how that effects the alarm that I do not have?

Any ideas to fix the problem? will be appreciated!

I DO NOT have an alarm.

You said you don't have an alarm which I understand as the bike does not have a siren. But does the bike have factory security or a FOB?
If you have neither an alarm or FOB security, then you should have a TSM and I can't see that module throwing a 31 code unless the turn signal module has been replaced with one off say a 2001 Dyna. Then it would have the firmware to throw a 31.

As far as I can tell, a 2001 TSM from the FLH-FLT family should not be able to throw a 31.
Knowing some of the history would help. You looked at the codes because the bike has some kind of problem?

You said you don't have an alarm which I understand as the bike does not have a siren. But does the bike have factory security or a FOB?
If you have neither an alarm or FOB security, then you should have a TSM and I can't see that module throwing a 31 code unless the turn signal module has been replaced with one off say a 2001 Dyna. Then it would have the firmware to throw a 31.

As far as I can tell, a 2001 TSM from the FLH-FLT family should not be able to throw a 31.
Knowing some of the history would help. You looked at the codes because the bike has some kind of problem?

No Alarm, No Security, No remote or anything.
Never been touched by anyone or even a dealer for anything but routine maint. oil/tires/etc...

No problems other than the 4ways flashing on ignition.
I saw that started a few weeks back and looked up what it meant...followed the procedure to pull the code and I have a 31.

When I saw 31, I was baffled too. Not sure what to do from here.

Thanks!

I just want to double check what the book says vs what you performed. When you pulled the codes you used a jumper wire between #1 and #2 on data link connector. Turned on ignition. Now displays a "Ready" signal which is 6 rapid flashes, then 2 second pause, then flashes 1st digit of DTC, 2 second pause then 2nd digit of DTC.

So you saw 6 flashes, pause, 3 flashes, pause, 1 flash. (then repeats)

If we match and you are really seeing a 31 DTC, then this is what I would do next.

Disconnect the battery. Locate the TSM module. Disconnect the multi pin connector from the module. Looking at the connector, identify pin/position #1 which is a Brown/silver wire. (as backup, Pin #2 should have solid gray wire)

Is there a Green/Brown wire in position # 11 or is position # 11 not populated without a wire. Also, are the connector pins clean and free of any oxidation.
Also, is there a part number on your TSM. If so record it.

I did not use a jumper...used the on off on off on way to get it to read codes.
It went exactly as described below. It repeated 3 then 1. Over and over until I held the left signal to clear it.

The flashes went away the next time I started it, but have since returned.

Here is the directions I used:

~~~If the turn signals flash six fast four-way flashes shortly after key ON, then an error code is logged.

Invoking TSM/TSSM Code Diagnostics
Set RUN/OFF switch to OFF
Turn IGN key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
Press left turn switch 2 times and release
1-3 flashes turn signals & indicators depending on vehicle configuration
1 flash-Worldwide TSM, no security
2 flashes-North American/Domestic configuration TSSM
3 flashes-European/HDI configuration TSSM
Press right turn switch 1 time and release-1 flash turn signals & indicators
Press right turn switch 1 time and release-2 flashes turn signals & indicators
Press right turn switch 1 time and release-3 flashes turn signals & indicators
Press left turn switch 1 time and release-turn signals & indicators flash to indicate trouble codes
To clear codes, press and hold left turn switch for 4-5 seconds until confirmation is received-2 flashes turn signals & indicators
Turn IGN key OFF~~~

Thanks for your help!

I have seen that procedure before but the book I am using for your bike lists a different way to do it. Really strange.

By chance did you take your procedure ALL the way through and actually clear the code like it says you can?
I would perform the steps on clearing the code and see if you can actually clear it (getting the confirmation of 2 flashers). Then go back in and see if the code really did get cleared. If the clearing procedure does work, then your procedure on extracting codes must be the correct way and my book is wrong.

If you can clear the code, then I would use the bike and see if a 31 gets thrown once again. If you do log another, you now have something to work with because it proves the error is not a fluke or erroneous. If another code follows, at this point I would check for that wire on the TSM connector in position 11 (from the earlier post).

I have seen that procedure before but the book I am using for your bike lists a different way to do it. Really strange.

By chance did you take your procedure ALL the way through and actually clear the code like it says you can?
I would perform the steps on clearing the code and see if you can actually clear it (getting the confirmation of 2 flashers). Then go back in and see if the code really did get cleared. If the clearing procedure does work, then your procedure on extracting codes must be the correct way and my book is wrong.

If you can clear the code, then I would use the bike and see if a 31 gets thrown once again. If you do log another, you now have something to work with because it proves the error is not a fluke or erroneous. If another code follows, at this point I would check for that wire on the TSM connector in position 11 (from the earlier post).

I did follow it through and clear it. It went away the next time i started it, and now is back.

I will take a look at the connections to see if there is a problem.
Where is the TSM located?

Thank you

I did not use a jumper...used the on off on off on way to get it to read codes.
It went exactly as described below. It repeated 3 then 1. Over and over until I held the left signal to clear it.

The flashes went away the next time I started it, but have since returned.

Here is the directions I used:

~~~If the turn signals flash six fast four-way flashes shortly after key ON, then an error code is logged.

Invoking TSM/TSSM Code Diagnostics
Set RUN/OFF switch to OFF
Turn IGN key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
Press left turn switch 2 times and release
1-3 flashes turn signals & indicators depending on vehicle configuration
1 flash-Worldwide TSM, no security
2 flashes-North American/Domestic configuration TSSM
3 flashes-European/HDI configuration TSSM
Press right turn switch 1 time and release-1 flash turn signals & indicators
Press right turn switch 1 time and release-2 flashes turn signals & indicators
Press right turn switch 1 time and release-3 flashes turn signals & indicators
Press left turn switch 1 time and release-turn signals & indicators flash to indicate trouble codes
To clear codes, press and hold left turn switch for 4-5 seconds until confirmation is received-2 flashes turn signals & indicators
Turn IGN key OFF~~~

Thanks for your help!

I just tried cheking and clearing the codes using the method above on my '01 flhrci with no success, tried the procedure three seperate times. The turn signals just go on as if the bike was running. When I push the left buttom 2 times it just starts and stops the signal, same thing with the right.
Any suggestions.

Back