free website stats program Need Help, Safety Requirements | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Help, Safety Requirements

JohnSpo13

Hello everyone, Ok here is my first post on this board, yea I need some help:).
My brother is coming back from deployment and emailed me asking to get his bike ready to ride. SO I hook up the trailer and drive down to his home (60 miles away) and load the bike up.
It's an 88 Softail with an S&S Engine and Baker (I think) trans, and pretty much custom.

The problem is I brought to get inspected and it failed because the turn signals do not work.
I'm pretty sure I can get them gong but here is my dilemma, I do not know just how the lights for this year are to be configured.
On the rear there is a marker/brake/ license plate light which works ok. Then there is a light on each side of the swingarm that I assume are the turn signal lights. Then on the front there is a amber light mounted on each side of the triple tree.
None of them flash when you press on the switch, but the indicator lights on the dash do work.
Lastly the rear swingarm mounted and front lights stay on all the time.
So my real question is what are the requirements for marker lights for an 88 model year?
My guess is that the single rear/brake light is ok, but the front lights should pull double duty as a marker and a turn signal. Is this correct?
Thanks for any help on getting this done.

Thank you for the link, that does answer a few questions. But it does leave me with one that I have been unable to resolve.
Does anyone know if front marker lights and turn signals were required in 1988?

I got the tins off the bike and found where the wiring was hacked up. I also identified the turn signal circuits and wires so getting turn signals working is not going to be a big deal.
If separate marker lights are required for the front I'll need to add another pair of lights.

Thank you for the link, that does answer a few questions. But it does leave me with one that I have been unable to resolve.
Does anyone know if front marker lights and turn signals were required in 1988?

I got the tins off the bike and found where the wiring was hacked up. I also identified the turn signal circuits and wires so getting turn signals working is not going to be a big deal.
If separate marker lights are required for the front I'll need to add another pair of lights.
Are the front and rear bulbs double contact? If so they were set up for marker and turn signals?

Are the front and rear bulbs double contact? If so they were set up for marker and turn signals?

No, all four bulbs are single element. That why I am concerned about the front. If a separate marker light is required I will need to add another set of lights.
But so far my research only indicates that a rear marker/brake light and a headlight are required. If this is the case A simple rewire will correct my issue.

You might want to try contacting you states Highway patrol office and tell the what you have and ask what is required to pass inspection.

Ok, thanks everyone. I've got the turn signals all worked out and functioning properly, Eliminated a bunch of bad splices and the marker/brake light is working great. I did discover another problem though.
The brake light is not working with the front brake. I took the handlebar switch apart and found that the brake switch had been gutted out. If I post a picture of the handlebar control would someone be able to identify it so I can try and source a replacement?

Ok, thanks everyone. I've got the turn signals all worked out and functioning properly, Eliminated a bunch of bad splices and the marker/brake light is working great. I did discover another problem though.
The brake light is not working with the front brake. I took the handlebar switch apart and found that the brake switch had been gutted out. If I post a picture of the handlebar control would someone be able to identify it so I can try and source a replacement?

Drag Specialties Front Brake Switch - DS272254A Harley Motorcycle - Dennis Kirk, Inc Scroll thru this link:D

Thanks Jack, I was at the local Shop this morning and they were able to help me out. I'll get the new switch installed today and button everything up. This should make the bike totally legal and pass inspection.

My Brother is going to owe me big time for all this:)

Thanks Jack, I was at the local Shop this morning and they were able to help me out. I'll get the new switch installed today and button everything up. This should make the bike totally legal and pass inspection.

My Brother is going to owe me big time for all this:)

:s Glad we all could help:s

Back