free website stats program Need help in buying my first Harley | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help in buying my first Harley

JudasP

Hi Guys,
I am thinking of buying my first Harley.
I am from India, I have been riding there for about 10 yrs now.
moved to USA 2 years ago. I had a smaller bike back home, 250cc.

I am looking to start out on a Iron 883 sportster!
I am looking to buy a new one.

Does anybody have any advice on how much should I pay or any other things that might help??

I spoke to couple of dealers and they are charging me around $680 freight + $700 set up fees is that common or can I negotiate it down??

Also both dealers quoted more than the base price of what is shown in harley websites!

I need some help.

Thanks guys.

Welcome to he Forum
Shop around check on the internet for better pricing

Don't buy new and save a lot of money. The Sportster has not had any major changes in the last few years and the used market is awash with good deals. Take your time, search Craig's List, Ebay, Bike Trader, etc. to get a feel for the market before you buy. You will find used bikes with upgrades and save $$ there as well.

If you are willing to walk away, the freight, dealer and documentation fees tend to disappear.
You can also do yourself a favor and save up cash and look at places other than a dealer. Even at a dealer, cold hard cash has bargaining power.

If you are willing to walk away, the freight, dealer and documentation fees tend to disappear.
You can also do yourself a favor and save up cash and look at places other than a dealer. Even at a dealer, cold hard cash has bargaining power.

Most likely the salesman will walk away, I've found and so have people I know, dealerships really won't budge much on the price.

If you don't buy it someone is right behind you that will.

I recall folks thinking cash gets a better deal.First of all,if someone gives you more than 10 grand in cash you have to report it,and fill out more forms.The difference between that,or a finance co.(bank) giving you a check for the full amount is minimal.

Most likely the salesman will walk away, I've found and so have people I know, dealerships really won't budge much on the price. If you don't buy it someone is right behind you that will.

Very true on a Sportster. Walking away might work on a new touring model but not on a Sportster; cheap by comparison and the sell many.:D

Very true on a Sportster. Walking away might work on a new touring model but not on a Sportster; cheap by comparison and the sell many.:D

Harleys longest production run and considered by many an entry level and trade bait bike:D

Hi Guys,
I am looking to start out on a Iron 883 sportster!
I am looking to buy a new one.

I didn't see these at first. I'd still go used as Dolt suggested but if you insist on getting a new one, you're asking at the right time. Dealers are starting to want to clear out the leftover 2014/2015 bikes to make space for the 2016's. I'd check things out and see if any dealers have 14/15 883's on the floor and see if they are willing to haggle on a price.
Not sure where the fixed price thing is coming from, though. I think even with new, they are willing to work with you a bit but sportsters may be the exception. I was able to talk my dealer down from 13k to 9k and they cut the delivery and setup charges last year on my used 06 Fatty.

Back