free website stats program need help from the gurus | Harley Davidson Forums

need help from the gurus

JJDH

finally my bro in law got on a harley today, after months of shopping. he paid 11,400 for a 2004 road king, 88ci motor, 5 speed tranny,30,000 miles on it with stage one kit. now before he/we tested the bike we inspected it. under the motor there was some residue of an oil leak. we showed the sales/service staff, their reason was when they did the trade in service it prolly wasnt cleaned up from the filter change, well ok maybe.. took the usual hand held 5 mile test ride, runs great, no prollems. he purchased the bike. we left rode about 10 miles and the exhaust started smoking, i said hey turn in one of these lots.... now at first i said maybe its overfilled with oil, checked oil its normal levels. the oil has some chalky white to it. then we seen that the air filter is dumping oil out through it, the oil at the dipstick also smells like gas.. we removed air filter ,inspected everything, all looks about as regular as it can... rode home now it still is dumping oil out the air cleaner, any thoughts or answers, this seams like the end of the world for the bro in law, dealer said they would look at it, he bought the bike as is, couldnt afford the warranty for now.

Could be overfilled or oil diluted. The other possibilities are oil pump alignment is off and it's sumping oil in the engine which would cause the back up into the air filter. Also could be an "O" ring on the pump itself causing it. I would also do a compression test on the engine.

Could be overfilled or oil diluted. The other possibilities are oil pump alignment is off and it's sumping oil in the engine which would cause the back up into the air filter. Also could be an "O" ring on the pump itself causing it. I would also do a compression test on the engine.
from the dried residue it appears to me that this is the reason for the trade in, the dealer said they would pick the bike up tomorrow, i dont know if they will make all those repairs, in the contract we got em to write in if there was an oil leak they would fix it. what are the rules for returns?. we live in ohio. should we tell the service guys that somethin is wrong with the oil pump? my dad said the same as u glider possible o ring, he isnt a harley guru though.

I would only suggest these possibilities as something to check or they may get an attitude but make sure the problem is fixed to your liking being you pointed out an oil problem before hand when the bike was purchased.

Don't know what the law states in your state.

I would only suggest these possibilities as something to check or they may get an attitude but make sure the problem is fixed to your liking being you pointed out an oil problem before hand when the bike was purchased.

Don't know what the law states in your state.
thanks glider. this is some stress releif for now, especially since i was the one that found the bike for him, even though it has high miles the price was right, also they paid off his jap bike which was an impossible task anywhere else, he was stuck with a bike he didnt like anymore, also the value dropped 50% in one year on an 08 boulevard vl800

Here is a link to Ohio lemon laws,if it goes that far.Hope it doesn't
Ohio Lemon Law Statutes

My quick read of the link Steve provided above suggests that you may not qualify for the Lemon Law since it seems to suggest that it is the original owner having problems and submitting a vehicle for multiple warranty work on the same problem.

TQ

My quick read of the link Steve provided above suggests that you may not qualify for the Lemon Law since it seems to suggest that it is the original owner having problems and submitting a vehicle for multiple warranty work on the same problem.

TQ
wel the prollem is only speculation from my opinion as far as dried residue, we dont actually kno if that was the reason for trade, nor do we kno the previous owner. i was wondering if ohio has a law that you can return a product within so many days of purchase,no matter what the contract says

How about this section of your State laws

A: State laws hold dealers responsible if cars they sell don't meet reasonable quality standards. These obligations are called implied warranties - unspoken, unwritten promises from the seller to the buyer. But dealers in most states can use the words "as is" or "with all faults" in a written notice to buyers to eliminate implied warranties. There is no specified time period for implied warranties.
The most common type of implied warranty is the warranty of merchantability. The seller promises that the product offered for sale will do what it's supposed to. That a car will run is an example of a warranty of merchantability. This promise applies to the basic functions of a car. It doesn't cover everything that could go wrong.

Breakdowns and other problems after the sale don't prove the seller breached the warranty of merchantability. A breach occurs only if the buyer can prove that a defect existed at the time of sale. A problem that occurs after the sale may be the result of a defect that existed at the time of sale or not. As a result, a dealer's liability is judged case-by-case.

How about this section of your State laws

A: State laws hold dealers responsible if cars they sell don't meet reasonable quality standards. These obligations are called implied warranties - unspoken, unwritten promises from the seller to the buyer. But dealers in most states can use the words "as is" or "with all faults" in a written notice to buyers to eliminate implied warranties. There is no specified time period for implied warranties.
The most common type of implied warranty is the warranty of merchantability. The seller promises that the product offered for sale will do what it's supposed to. That a car will run is an example of a warranty of merchantability. This promise applies to the basic functions of a car. It doesn't cover everything that could go wrong.

Breakdowns and other problems after the sale don't prove the seller breached the warranty of merchantability. A breach occurs only if the buyer can prove that a defect existed at the time of sale. A problem that occurs after the sale may be the result of a defect that existed at the time of sale or not. As a result, a dealer's liability is judged case-by-case.
thanks steve, it seems in this instance the prollem was already there. we made it 10 miles from the dealer

Back