free website stats program Need an Oil blowby fix! | Harley Davidson Forums

Need an Oil blowby fix!

echadd

I sure hope that someone can offer some guidance for me. I have a 2013 FLHTK (103) with 29K miles. The only engine modification is a stage one air cleaner (K&N). At around 15K the motor started spewing oil out of the right or forward breather tube of the air cleaner. I took it to the dealership four times and through consultation with the Motor Company they drilled holes in the backing plate and did some other things but the problem persisted. At 22K they replaced my motor. After about 2K the problem reappeared. The service manager said that around six or so similar heavy touring bikes have had identical problems. I know the owners of two of the bikes who also had their motors replaced and it seems to have cured their problem but not mine. Apparently they still have two bikes in the shop awaiting motors or further help from the Motor Co. I live and ride daily in So. Cal. so warm to hot weather is a constant. The oil makes my bike and my lower right leg filthy and I have to clean the right side daily. How can I fix this?

I have seen this a lot. There is a o ring under the bottom rocker box that cause this to leak. I have fixed several with this. hit me up for more info if needed. Linnie

How much oil are you running. I know the manual says 4qts. but that is for a dry motor. Try 3.5 qts if you aren't already per change.

I put in 3 qts. at each oil change bringing level a little over 1/2 way when hot on dipstick, seems to cure the oil blowby problem.
Also cleaning filter often and NOT over oiling the K&N filter.

Only 3 quarts. That was my original thought - too much oil. Indeed, I've gotta have less than 3 by now...

Back