free website stats program Need advice on shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Need advice on shocks

67wizard

I have a 2010 UC and it rides like a lumber wagon. I have tried different air pressure sitting and nothing makes it ride softer. with a vary limited amount of
$$ what shocks would you recommend? I would even try used shocks if the price is right.

I don't know what kind of $$$ you have, but I like the Progressive brand shocks. They ride smooth and makes the bike handle and ride a hole lot better. Just my 2 cents

There was an earlier thread by RedFish Joe and he found that his late model RG's ill handling and poor ride was caused by improberly torqued swing arm bolts. Before you spend any $$ I would make sure that everything is up to specs.

+1 on the progressive shocks. I got the 440 heavy duty shocks, they ride a little stiff when I am riding by myself but it really improved the handling, they are perfect doing the 2up riding. If I ever get rid of my beer belly I may be able to get a softer spring put in the shocks. No matter what the shocks are pricey you can pay around $500 to $600 for a set of rear shocks.

Have you had your stock shocks looked at? Are they working properly? My 08 FLHTC with stock shocks rides smooth and comfortable.

They all do that. LOL

The biggest problem is the recoil seem to be be harsh.
When you hit a small bump the upward motion from the shock
just jolts my back hard. Maybe its just old age getting to me.:panic

I hated my stock air shocks so much, I changed the oil in the shock,as suggested by someone to no avail. Had them checked at the dealer, the they were fine. Finally bit the bullet and replaced them with a pair of Terry Cable Ultra ride shocks. No more bottoming out. Pricey but I want to enjoy the ride. And your age has nothing to do with it!

They all do that. LOL

The biggest problem is the recoil seem to be be harsh.
When you hit a small bump the upward motion from the shock
just jolts my back hard. Maybe its just old age getting to me.:panic

Same for my '10 ultra 67wizard. I tried putting a little heavier oil in the shocks to slow down the rebound damping but it didnt do much, I may try a 20 wt next time but if that doesnt work, I will be getting new shocks, it rides terrible for such an expensive bike. My '99 softail rides twice as good as my ultra and my wife agrees.

Back