free website stats program need a bit of help with parts | Harley Davidson Forums

need a bit of help with parts

Sentinel

Right so I ride an 83 Sportster 1000cc. My first bike, got it October of last year. Never been on a motorcycle before. All fluids leak. Engine oil slightly but produces a couple drips after running and then sitting. Transmission... my gasket is snapped and silicone isn't that great. I can fix that. Then all of a sudden my gas tank starts leaking from above the petcock. Not sure is it was the o-ring in it or whatever. Also my original headlight mount snapped. For a first bike she's a (EDIT)!

I'm asking for help for: -New headlight preferably one that sits on the forks. Not sure if I can do LED or if I need new wiring or something? Still new to working on bikes.

-I'm thinking I might need to re seal the gas tank. Can you do that if it's already sealed or not a good idea?

-On the old bikes is minor oil leakage expected?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! She's been off the streets for about a month now and it's time to get her back up. Thank you in advance

My bike if curious http://imgur.com/a/4HzAd

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron Head Sportsters are known for leaks and vibrations. Oil leaks are largely due to poor quality engine casting/mating. Old saying was "Harleys don't leak oil, they mark their spot", was very true. Your gas leak could be an oring, the petcock nut has both left and right hand threads. If it's not just right, it doesn't make a seal. Fuel tank sealer is to prevent rust, not seal leaks.
For headlight issue, I suggest searching Dennis Kirk & J&P online catalogs.

Iron Head Sportsters are known for leaks and vibrations. Oil leaks are largely due to poor quality engine casting/mating. Old saying was "Harleys don't leak oil, they mark their spot", was very true. Your gas leak could be an oring, the petcock nut has both left and right hand threads. If it's not just right, it doesn't make a seal. Fuel tank sealer is to prevent rust, not seal leaks.
For headlight issue, I suggest searching Dennis Kirk & J&P online catalogs.

Thank you friend I'll work on her today after work. and I'll check out the headlights. Thanks again

I know the older Harley's do leak oil, but Just be glad it isn't leaking rice. A fuel leak is a must fix. The only flames on the tank should only be represented by paint.

Ok so I found another issue. The sealant that my mechanic "friend" used on my aftermarket peanut tank is dissolving and getting into the gas. I have no idea why. He didn't use the one we gave him.

How can I clean it?
Can I reseal even with the bad sealant it has on it?
Can anyone recommend a really good sturdy one?

Thanks

Last edited:
A auto radiator shop may be the best way to remove peeling tank liner. They have the equip. to blast/dissolve it. Some shops will do it, some won't mess with it.

You may want to think about why that tank was sealed in the first place. If you can't get all that bad stuff out you may be looking for a new one. Don't worry too much about an old Sporty leaking some oil, that's character! Get yourself a manual if you're going to work on it and follow the torque specs. Also do us all a favor and take a Motorcycle Safety Course. You can even get discounts on most insurances. And most of all, have fun!

Back