free website stats program Neck Bearing Grease | Harley Davidson Forums

Neck Bearing Grease

glider.

BOT Machine
Harleys come from the factory with the neck bearings greased by hand at assembly. You will find when you do the first greasing that it takes nearly an entire tube of grease to see any come out the bearings meaning there is no excess in the steering head like after you properly fill it.
What I suggest is to grease any new bike when you get it to prevent any problems with the bearings. Use a quality grease that will stand up to the heat and a waterproof grease The standard HD grease will melt in hot temps and drip onto the left fork tube when the temps are hot and the bike is parked.

It's also much easier to access on touring bikes to remove the stock Zerk fitting and replace it with a 45* Zerk for easier access.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a bunch Mr. Data - was just thinking about looking in my service manual & "bam" here's the neck bearing grease location...you da man!!!

I know of people wrapping something around the bottom bearing to seal it and pump the neck full of grease until the top bearing starts to ooze grease out and then remove the wrap.
Ken

1/8" nylon rope works good. For first 500 miles or so, use Q-tip to clean up and around bearing neck.
wilks3 :D
:USA

For anyone interested, the 2011 street glide (probably more) has the zerk fitting in a new place more conducive to getting your grease gun in easier, without a angle fitting,,,also doing some research,,at grainger, they have for $3 and change,,mobil grease xhp 222 ...should be an excellent choice for your neck of your bike,..:D

I have an '03 UC. The neck bearing Zerk was a straight one at about the 10-11 o'clock position when looking down on the neck from above. Absolutely UNREACHABLE with a normal grease gun. So like Mr. Data said above, this Zerk should be replaced with a 45* Zerk. The 90* will not fit due to interference with the cross-member. I bought a multi-pack of assorted Zerks at O'Reilly's. The 1/4-28 straight thread screws all the way in until the Zerk is facing down. Not helpful! But I removed the new Zerk and used a #12 SS washer and 1/4" SS lock washer to change the position to pointed back to the left for easy access with a grease gun with flexible hose.

I used a Marine Grease from MasterPro (also from O'Reilly's). The stuff is water resistant and resembles split pea soup in color. But the stuff is nice and thick and I do not think it will run. It is a high pressure lube.

I am embarrassed to say that I used almost 2 of the small 3 oz. tube of lube until I got some show at the top and bottom of the neck. The neck had to be completely dry. So if you are pumping and a whole mini tube is gone with no show, have faith. Put another tube in the grease gun and keep pumping. It will show up eventually!!

TQ

TQ many of the 90* zerks you are able to unscrew the nipple from the base. I screw the base in and set so that I can thread the nipple into the base.
Ken

On my 2008 EG when went to install a 90 found out that the threads were Metric.
The grease I use is Walmart Marine grade grease. Never had it drip on fender and grease every 5,000 miles...
TQ same thing happened when I first greased mine at 5,000 miles. I was wondering where 2-1/2 tubes of grease was going.

Hey guys I know this is a really old thread but I have a question. My neck bearing always has some grease oozing out the bottom. Is this normal? I have been wiping it off with paper towel every coupla weeks. At least I know there is still grease in there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey guys I know this is a really old thread but I have a question. My neck bearing always has some grease oozing out the bottom. Is this normal? I have been wiping it off with paper towel every coupla weeks. At least I know there is still grease in there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Well you know there is some grease on the bottom bearing anyway.

The type of grease that was used and the ambient temperature (or leaving the bike in the Sun) will affect the amount of grease that oozes out the bottom of the neck. I suggest using a water-proof maritime grease that is less likely to ooze out of the lower neck, but some is not a bad thing. The key is to get the neck entirely full of grease so that the top bearing is lubricated too. I think Kemo's (RIP) point above is a good one to ensure you get grease on the top bearing. But I would start out without anything around the bottom of the neck so that you can push out most of the stuff that is in there with some better marine grease. If you get the stuff I recommended above, you will readily see it as it begins to come out. Then you can tape up or tie something around the bottom and keep pumping until you get it coming out the top too.

Cheers,

TQ

Back