free website stats program NC: Raleigh to Boone and Skyline Drive | Harley Davidson Forums

NC: Raleigh to Boone and Skyline Drive

Porter

There is a chance I will be working in the Raleigh area in the middle of September. I am thinking about traveling west to the Boone area and picking up Skyline drive home to MD, through VA.

Any advice on roads to take or "must see" attractions and "must eat" restaurants would be appreciated. I am thinking about camping a night or two, so if anyone knows a good campground in NC or in VA along the way, please let me know.

I'm sure you simply mistyped and understand that from Boone, you'll mostly be on the Blue Ridge Parkway before you reach Skyline Drive.

Lots of good, free information about the parkway and camping here:

Blue Ridge Parkway - Home

Be sure to check it often as they post closures that could affect your ride.

Yes, I mis-typed. I did mean the Blue Ridge Parkway. Thanks for the link it is very helpful I went there first, but I am also looking to find some "local" info on going from Raleigh to the Boone area, as I have never been that way.

Thanks again!

I would take 64 out of the Raleigh/Apex area till you come to 601 at Mocksville. Take 601 north and run into 421 then on to Boone. Nice country route. I try to avoid the interstates unless there is a hurry.

How much time do you have? US-64 weat WILL be a "quick route" less boring than I-40, but...
I tend to hop on NC-147 then I-85 to Hillsbrough... north on NC-86 to US-158 to Stokesdale... pick up NC-65 to Walnut Cove, then north on NC-89/8 through Mt Airy to the parkway..... but no one ever said I take "direct routes"... LOLOL

Lunch spots?
Blue Mist in Asheboro...or the American Classic Motorcycle museum (also in Ashboro)
Blue mist has the better food... but ACMM has cool old bikes American Classic Motorcycle Museum food's good too
Also on US-64 is Lexington BBQ....

The northern route....
Dan Family Restaurant on NC-89 Danbury NC, is a fave.... Snappy Lunch, Blue Bird Cafe, and bistro 501 all in downtown Mt Airy. Mt Airy is the home of Andy Griffth... and they play up the whole "mayberry" deal

Campground....
There are several... but.... heading in YOUR direction.... I'd say Willville on US-58 just west of Meadows of the Dan in VA Willville Motorcycle Campground
Nice friendly place.

That oughta get you thinking....

If you're heading that way
Shatley Springs has great food, so do
Stations Inn, and/or Freeborne's both in Laurel Springs NC
While riding the BRP.... if you have time... head south on VA-43 to Bedford VA. home of the D-Day memorial. if there is a MUST-SEE... that would be the one..... of course... it's simply MY opinion.

Lots of good... better... routes.... just a matter of how much time one has.... and the sorts of roads they like..... I'm a back roads kinda guy....so I know quite a few alternatives.....
Like Raleigh to Stuart, or Roanoke.. or... Bedford... or Lynchburg... and pick up the BRP from those... and they are less than 3 hours from north Raleigh...

Thanks Skootch and PetieJ!
Great ideas and nice information. Much appreciated!

I don't know how much time I will have. It all depends on my work schedule. I should at least get 2 days and maybe as much as 4.

I am also toying with the idea of going southwest to Asheville to see more of the Blue Ridge. The motorcycle campground sounds real interesting....as does the mc museum.:D

Thanks Skootch and PetieJ!
Great ideas and nice information. Much appreciated!

I don't know how much time I will have. It all depends on my work schedule. I should at least get 2 days and maybe as much as 4.

I am also toying with the idea of going southwest to Asheville to see more of the Blue Ridge. The motorcycle campground sounds real interesting....as does the mc museum.:D

When you have a better idea, about your schedule.... drop me a line, and I can give you more ideas
If you can spend another day.. or so.... head west, stay at Ironhorse, or Kickstand, then do the dragon, cheraola, and turn north to the BRP... stopping in Maggie Valley for the "wheels through time"...but, that's one day heading west, and another day getting to Ashville... you'd still have 300 miles of the BRP infront of you....

Sure thing Skootch!

That may be a bit much for this trip. (My wife is concerned about how long I will be gone, having fun, already). I have to head back down in October/November, so that may be a better time to do the other sites and skip the BRP as it would likely have much more traffic in October for the leaves.

You could take a shorter run...
North from Raleigh, to Fancy Gap(MP-200),or Meadows of the Dan(178) or Roanoke(120), or Beford(85). each about a 3 hour ride, from Raleigh
You shoul be able to ride to the BRP, and travel it (north) within one day. including stops. Which would leave you a short 180 mile ride home

Back