free website stats program My first touring bike | Harley Davidson Forums

My first touring bike

zman216

OK,
Just about had enough of this thread.... at first I was living for daveinPA, cause I myself had just purchased my first touring bike a vivid black Street Glide about 4 weeks after purchasing my first sportster. Just kept coming back for more and more of the "as the stomach turns" soap opera.
I think that at this point I'll take over the thread as my own (you don't mind, do you daveinPA). I'm not 24 but sure feel like it (add 20 years).
Had the backrest and pipes (Rineharts) installed before I took it of the lot, was looking for an "Indy" shop but couldn't wait. MAN I LOVE THIS BIKE, AND THIS FORUM.
was too busy riding it to do much writing, just had the 1000 mile service done. Still trying to figure out how to load pics....... honest I have pics.
SG.jpg

P.S. ww1flyingace love your bike and your rationale as to why you would build up from the Street Glide and not down from the ultra.
zman216inNJ

Last edited:
You beat me to the punch! I just took delivery of my '09 FLHR, Red Hot Sunglow, yesterday exactly one year to the day after I bought my '07 XL1200C. I love it!

Re: Bought my first touring bike today!

Very nice ride Zman. If that is who you are and is your bike :D Ride safe Bro

congrats too Sharky

I have to admit that when I the superslab the first time on the RK, I was amazed at how stable it felt compared to my Sporty. And, in the twisties, the RK handled like a dream. Makes selling my beloved Sporty a lot less painful!

You won't regret the move Sharky. It grows on you the more you ride it. They also handle very well in the twisties too.

Congrats. It's true.........once you have owned a bagger, you will never be happy or satisfied with any other ride. I think the term "spoiled" would fit best. Nothing rides like a "BIG COMFY COUCH"!:D

I moved from a 98 Softail Custom to an 09 Ultra. I was amazed at the differance in handleing. The Ultra is just so smooth in all aspacts of the ride. Like Sharky said it will make selling my other bike alot less painful.

You beat me to the punch! I just took delivery of my '09 FLHR, Red Hot Sunglow, yesterday exactly one year to the day after I bought my '07 XL1200C. I love it!

Sharky-
How long did it take you to get used to the RK? I am thinking of going that route as well... between the RK Classic, or the Heritage. Been on the sporty for just 1,700 milews (over 3 months) but am looking ahead to next season. At this point, seems very tough to give up my sporty... first bike, and all. Plust, it's been so much fun! My plan is to keep it, and have a bagger.

So, if you wouldn't mind giving your experiences on the RK thus far, it would be much appreciated.

thanks
Drew

I had my Sporty for exactly a year. Have 5000 miles on it.

It took about 15 minutes (no exaggeration) to get comfortable on the RK. After a ride of about 50 miles through the back roads (hills and twisties) I felt like I had been riding it all along. It's much easier in the slow turns, and much more stable at high speeds.

The only thing that will take another few rides to get used to is the toe/heel shifting. Not a big deal at all...just getting used to the pedal locations.

Oh...one more thing. I'm still getting used to the cruise control too. :)

BTW, my plan was to keep the Sporty too. My wife and I love it. But, I'm pretty sure it's going up on the sales block. The RK is just as much (make that MORE) fun, and I don't want the ole gal to just sit around. I'll just have to find someone else to love her as I did.

Sharky-
How long did it take you to get used to the RK? I am thinking of going that route as well... between the RK Classic, or the Heritage. Been on the sporty for just 1,700 milews (over 3 months) but am looking ahead to next season. At this point, seems very tough to give up my sporty... first bike, and all. Plust, it's been so much fun! My plan is to keep it, and have a bagger.

So, if you wouldn't mind giving your experiences on the RK thus far, it would be much appreciated.

thanks
Drew

Back