free website stats program My first set of mods | Harley Davidson Forums

My first set of mods

Drew

I'm going for comfort and safety this time around... maybe more chrome and new pipes next time:naughty

-new headlamp with running lights
-louder horn (airhorn)
-sundowner seat
-detachable windshield

while I know some of this stuff could be had cheaper not buying directly from Harley, this was by far the easiest. They will install these items when the bike goes in for its 1,000 mile servicing next weekend (currently has over 1,100 (edit) -eatin'-grin miles on it!)

to be honest, last night was the first time I rode in the complete dark, and I was not too disappointed at the stock headlight on low-beam. One reason for the bigger head-light mod is for increased visibility to oncoming traffic.

regards,
Drew

Last edited:
I'm going for comfort and safety this time around... maybe more chrome and new pipes next time:naughty

-new headlamp with running lights
-louder horn (airhorn)
-sundowner seat
-detachable windshield

while I know some of this stuff could be had cheaper not buying directly from Harley, this was by far the easiest. They will install these items when the bike goes in for its 1,000 mile servicing next weekend (currently has over 1,100 (edit) -eatin'-grin miles on it!)

to be honest, last night was the first time I rode in the complete dark, and I was not too disappointed at the stock headlight on low-beam. One reason for the bigger head-light mod is for increased visibility to oncoming traffic.

regards,
Drew

Good for you Drew!!! Yes sometimes you can buy "cheaper" products but you know the ol sayin' -- get what you pay for!! If you can,post a pic. or two of the new mods.!!!

None of this stuff is hard to install, what is the dealer going to get you for installing this stuff?

Go through Zanotti, get a discount on the parts and do it yourself, this way you can buy more too :D

One cool thing about my dealer, is that I get 20% off ALL parts/services/accessories, forever (well, as long as I'm riding a bike I bought from their shop). The only thing the 20% discount does not apply to are the motorcycles themselves. So, with that 20% discount, I'd think it not worth the time to try to find someone cheaper, as I wouldn't imagine it being much of a difference at that point.

As far as installilng the stuff myself:newsmile07: I'm not mechanically inclined at all, and am "happy" to take my lumps and just pay whatever the going rate is.

I will post pics when they're done.

regards,
Drew

20% is nice at the dealership, that is probably the best you'll get.

Understand not being mechanically inclined and of course up to you. I would by no means call myself a mechanic either, I'm usually the first to surrender my car or bike to the shop when it is not anything simple. With that said, just installed the quick release windshield, 4 bolts, tighten them loosely clamp it onto the front end and tighten, took maybe 30 minutes, only because I was carefully reading the instructions. Seat on mine I have removed a couple of times now and put back on, piece of cake.

Horn and light, may be the only things to consider, but I imagine these both just are plug in wiring harnesses.

To each there own, just thought I would give a little insight.

I recently equipped my Sportster with passing lamps and an airhorn. The passing lamps really do a great job of lighting up the road at night, and I think does a very good job of distinguishing the MC, if nothing else, as a "non-car" for those oncoming drivers. There have been many times where I thought a MC was approaching me, but it ended up being a car with one of the headlights burnt out. The three lamps on my bike now make me feel safer to oncoming traffic, let alone the the brighter road ahead of me. With the high beam on, it's just the stock lamp, low beam illuminates the passing ones.

I also installed an airhorn that is SO much better than stock. The other day a pickup truck almost pulled in front of me, and screeched on his brakes when I blasted my horn. By the driver's look on his face as I passed, he must have thought I was an 18 wheeler, given the volume of the horn, not a 2 wheeler

By the way, I had also initially put a Sundowner seat on teh Sportster... it pushed me forward a good 2 inches. And being 6'1" with a 33 inch inseam, that is not what I was looking for. Even with the forward controls, my riding position is still a little cramped. So, sundowner is comfy, and a good choice for someone who needs to be pushed up a bit. I went back to the stock seat... but I may need a bigger bike

ride safe. I am loving this Chicago autumn weather.

Andrew

Back