free website stats program My first FI Harley | Harley Davidson Forums

My first FI Harley

olskool

I have a 97 FLHPI and it is the first FI bike i have owned....

The I hear the fuel pump "pump up" when i turn on the ignition switch....and last night I started hearing it going down the road...bike is running fine....just started hearing the whine (sounds like when it is pumping up, not really a whine, i can just hear it running) last night....

I guess it means the fuel pump is getting ready to go bad...or?? any Ideas suggestions would be appreciated! 57000 miles, i guess its time for a fuel filter anyhow.

took the gas cap off and listened for "spray" didn't hear any..

thanks cp

The pumps will pressure up and then stop when you first switch on the ignition. After the engine is running, the pump maintains about 58 LBS pressure so it may run constantly as you ride. You shouldn't really hear it run as you ride so you may have the beginning of a problem with the pump. The filter should be replaced according to the service manual.

As Glider said, but you might add a close inspection of those corrogated fuel lines for fuel leakage.

Mine only has 10K but I haven't heard it while riding.

Let me turn down the stereo and then check...
WAP.gif

I found I could hear a kind of hissing noise shorly after I would fire her up, and the initial pump up when the ignition was turned on produced a very fine bubbly noise. Turns out, when it got worse and started producing real problems, that I had a wear hole in the convoluted fuel line, in the tank and between the pressure regulator and the output of the tank. The hole formed from the line rubbing on something inside the tank. This was at around 16K miles.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back