free website stats program My fat boy keeps dying and missing | Harley Davidson Forums

My fat boy keeps dying and missing

GimmeFuel

Today, several times while at idle, my engine would die. Also, it will crank several times before turning over.

And, I noticed both yesterday and today that while riding, the engine will periodically miss. As if one of the spark plugs isn't firing once in a while or something. All I know is that the bike will suddenly jerk, somewhat.

What does this sound like to some of you guys? I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow to have them look at it. I just got this thing yesterday. Also, I've only got 30 days of warranty then I'm on my own. I'd better get every single concern out of the way, now.

Anybody?

Also, tonight, I noticed a brief (but no less alarming) grinding sound coming from the left side of the engine just to the right of the gear shift (is that the crank case?). Anybody?

BTW, the bike has 18300 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be as simple as gas line in tank has hole in it sucking air. How full is tank when this happens? Or, engine eating itself up making valves stick open. Hope not.
wilks3

That was my question, too. Even if he bought it used, the original factory 2 year warranty should be in effect for quite a while.

Sorry. I need to amend that. It's a 2004. Still, the question stands.

The missing makes me think that it's in the plugs or the wires.

The dying makes me think that it's the carb.

The scraping... ( EDIT ) if I know.

Anybody?

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that it is still under warranty, you need to get the dealer to sort it out. Do not accept 'this is normal' or 'you bought a used bike' or whatever.
I agree with you; the mis-fire sounds electric/electronic issue, but not neccessarily the spark plugs. It could easily be further upstream in the el system, coil, ignintion, module. The dying seems fuel related, but could also be the same thing.
You grinding noise is right where the rotor spins outside the stator...
Take it to the dealer and make sure they acknowledge all these issues.

Back