free website stats program My buddy got a new scoot....... | Harley Davidson Forums

My buddy got a new scoot.......

Colt.45

Hey all
My best buddy got an "06" Softail Standard today. It only has 4,700 miles on it and looks and sounds perfect. Is there anything about this model he needs to watch for? It's his first Harley and as you might know I'm also new to Harley as well. Thanks for any advice.....thoughts etc.
Colt.45

Congrats to yer buddy.
1) get the manual. A must
2) get dirty, do the basic maintenance himself. It is required you assist:D
3) first Harley...don't get brave...go slow. Just like a first date, be careful, respect her. If not, SOMETHING will end up on yer chin. ( you'll get it :laugh)
4) ride her, don't drive her
5) he just picked up millions of friends.....as did you....there is never a stupid question...ask
6) tell him to sign his new Harley riding hide up on the site
7) ride her like he stole her.........when he's ready.

I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Be safe, have fun, ride hard.

Have him check the cam chain tensioners at around 10-15K miles. You won't find anything about it in the manual, but you'll find plenty on this site. They were upgraded in '07 so his will need checking soon.

Congrats, as already stated keep an eye on the cam chain tensioners

Congrats to your Bud..... Colt.45 be prepared for additional saddle time for once your Bud used the great character of a Harley he will never want to stop riding......:s

Hey guys
I'll pass it on to him about the cam chain tensioners. I am sure he plans to join this site and hopefully post some pix too.
You are right about more saddle time the only thing is...Missouri weather is about to shut us down for the Winter already............calling for mid 30's next Wed./Thur. and lows in the teens........Brrrrrrrrrr. Man I HATE Winter ! I reckon next riding season we will get to enjoy them more............I did not even get my Harley till mid July this year so we did not ride a lot. I put maybe 2,300 miles on it so far.
Colt.45

Hey all
Well looks like the weather is conspiring against my buddy riding his new Hog.......17 degrees this morning......[Winter doesn't even start for 5-6 more weeks] I think he said he has put 51 miles on it so far....Just 5 more months till Spring.......:small3d006:
Colt.45

Tell yer buddy, it's time to put the big boy pants on, bundle up and ride:D

Kidding, of course, got blasted in DFW as well.

Cold weather=chrome up:panic

Amish
LOL on 'big boy pants" I wish.........14 deg. this morning :( Hoping for 50 deg. in another couple weeks.........
Colt.45

Back