free website stats program My 85 a 4 spd? | Harley Davidson Forums

My 85 a 4 spd?

bender1

So, is my 85 a four speed or what? If so, what is the shift pattern? 1 down and 3 up? Since the first day I bought it, if you try to shift down like you would be shifting into 1st gear there's nothing there, even if you roll it, nothing. Now, if you shift up like your going into 2nd it'll shift. So, is this 1st gear or 2nd gear? From what I've read there weren't any 5 speeds in 85 so it has to be a four spd., right? It has a "Rotary" top. It's a kick\elec. start. See since the first day I brought it home I never started it or ridden it and went straight to tear down. Plus it was missing parts, The tanks were rusty and wasn't sure what kind of shape the internals were in. Also, I don't have any buddies here in town that even have a Harley so I'm all on my own here. The dealership is a joke too. If you don't have a wallet full of crisp hundreds nobody will even acknowledge you. So, I look to you all for answers.

REMEMBER!!!! FIRST HARLEY, SO EXCUSE ME FOR BEING A MORON!!!!! :help

85 was the last year for 4 speed with kicker, so ... yeah, you got a 4 speed.

shift pattern should be one down 3 up.

Wow, can't believe I figured it out that quick. Ok, so theres the top and the kicker side without the cover.

Hey so why ya'll think it won't go down into first gear? Never had that happen before. I've always been able to put a bike into first gear with out it running. Think I should take the top of the trans and take a look? Will I be able to really tell if anything's broken or wore out by just taking off the top or will this require major surgery and have to pull out the tranny, then main shafts an counter shafts and blah blah blah?? Eeewwww that scares me.

This could be a hundred different things.

Bent arm/shaft
stuff gummed up inside
something in the clutch
'missing' parts

you can pop the top and have a look, may as well pop the primary and have a look
at the clutch as well.

This bike has been sitting for 12 years ?
Ugh.

Hope you have a really good manual.

Back