free website stats program My '08 FXDC wouldn't start today.. | Harley Davidson Forums

My '08 FXDC wouldn't start today..

Went to a PGR Welcome Home today and after the mission my '08 fxdc wouldn't start. It was turning over good, just wouldn't start. After by buddies and I checked the plugs, fuses, and everything else we could think of, I called Legacy H.D. in Effingham, Il. Talked to a man in their service dept. and told him what was going on and what I was riding. He told me to disconnect the quick connect fuel line and reconnect it. Did what he said and it fired right up. He told me he had 3 or 4 other bikes recently with the same problem (vapor lock from the heat). None of us would have ever heard of disconnecting the fuel line. I asked his name, which is Major, and told him next time I was in Legacy I was going to look him up and shake his hand. If it wasn't for him, my superglide would have been setting 40 miles from home until Tuesday. This was the 2nd dealer I called by the way. The first one just said sorry, there was nothing they could do. They didn't have any drivers working today to pick it up.

Glad you got it sorted the way you did. Just curious, are you running a fueler of or is it stock?

Since its stock, it runs lean from that factory and therefore hot. You may want to invest in a Doebeck TFI. It will add fuel, cool it down a bunch and may help your vapor lock. At the very least the bike will run better, cooler and probably add some longevity. Mention your a forum member and get a discount. Military discount too. Its easy to use and customer support is great.

Motorcycle Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers

Since its stock, it runs lean from that factory and therefore hot. You may want to invest in a Doebeck TFI. It will add fuel, cool it down a bunch and may help your vapor lock. At the very least the bike will run better, cooler and probably add some longevity. Mention your a forum member and get a discount. Military discount too. Its easy to use and customer support is great.

Motorcycle Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers

Thanks for the tip. I'll check into it.

Dyna-rider; It's good to hear that you got hooked up with a good dealer tech. I'm not doubting you or the mechanic but I have to throw this question out on the forum, for someone to enlighten me.
I'm having a problem understanding how the bike could have vapor lock when there's 55+ psi on the fuel line from pump to injectors. Can someone es'plain to me? :help

Dyna-rider; It's good to hear that you got hooked up with a good dealer tech. I'm not doubting you or the mechanic but I have to throw this question out on the forum, for someone to enlighten me.
I'm having a problem understanding how the bike could have vapor lock when there's 55+ psi on the fuel line from pump to injectors. Can someone es'plain to me? :help

I can't say for sure that I was vapor lock. I'm just going on what the mechanic told me. All I know is that after I disconnect the fuel line, it started right up. Hope to find a definite answer.

Interesting, if the pump is running the fuel should reach the injectors hNNNN I would be checking for a venting problem, start it and crack the gas cap a bit just for grins

What would cracking the gas cap do. What would I look for?

Listen for a swoosh sound, to see if the cap is venting, look under the swing arm seems to me the tank vents there, if it is not venting the fuel in the rail may act like a vapor lock

Back