free website stats program MVA heads | Harley Davidson Forums

MVA heads

barttoday

I've recently come upon a chance to pick up a set of the MVA heads at a very reasonable price. I currently have the S&S 106 kit installed w/ the flat top pistons. Now, my question is, will my pistons work with these heads?? I have been looking for info on using the flat tops with these heads and I think I have just talked myself in circles. I think that if I use these heads I may take my compression down to approx. 9:1. (Closer to stock comp) Right now I'm sitting at about 10.5:1. These heads are milled for auto comp. releases, but at that low of a compression I think that they would be superfluous. Opinions??

Last edited:
Well, as with any deal, opportunity, resources, timing and compatibility, besides the price are what drive the outcome...materials not so much.

Screaming Eagle Pro Maximum Velocity Area (MVA) Cylinder heads–CNC Ported-Black
16925-08.jpg

Try em, I have had experience with HTCC heads but have always used matching pistons, can't imagine what these MVA heads would do with flat tops, they are top of the line head and I have heard they like larger intakes and also like that 10.5 comp.
I have broke away from rules putting high compression to low compression cams and had very happy engines, and you can read all you want on the internet but the fun part of anything is trying it, if it don't work, try, try, again, but then again there is something to be said for matching engine parts, have you done some research on maybe matching up some pistons? What heads are you running now?

i was told by many who had built engines that the Pro kompressor heads were a waste of money and that they would do little to nothing, well if little to nothing is 30ft/lbs at the rear wheel over a standard 103 conversion then all for that :D
Personally and the fact my 103 with out comp releases lunched my starter i would at the very very least fit manuals and little easier on the starter is less of a big bill down the line.
The SE heads are great heads and do the job very well just dont forget to clay the motor and ensure you have correct push rods for the lift of the cams, if they were a good price and dont do what you hope you can always sell them on

The price is great and I have the SE adjustable pushrods. I might just pull the trigger on this one.

Try em, I have had experience with HTCC heads but have always used matching pistons, can't imagine what these MVA heads would do with flat tops, they are top of the line head and I have heard they like larger intakes and also like that 10.5 comp.
I have broke away from rules putting high compression to low compression cams and had very happy engines, and you can read all you want on the internet but the fun part of anything is trying it, if it don't work, try, try, again, but then again there is something to be said for matching engine parts, have you done some research on maybe matching up some pistons? What heads are you running now?

The SE catalog says that they are compatible with both types of pistons, the domed, and the flat tops. I might just do it and slap it on and head back to the dyno. This should be interesting... (And by slap it on I mean tear the whole thing down, clean it all up, put in new gaskets, readjust pushrods etc...) Thanks!!

I've recently come upon a chance to pick up a set of the MVA heads at a very reasonable price. I currently have the S&S 106 kit installed w/ the flat top pistons. Now, my question is, will my pistons work with these heads?? I have been looking for info on using the flat tops with these heads and I think I have just talked myself in circles. I think that if I use these heads I may take my compression down to approx. 9:1. (Closer to stock comp) Right now I'm sitting at about 10.5:1. These heads are milled for auto comp. releases, but at that low of a compression I think that they would be superfluous. Opinions??
with flat top pistons,and 3.935 bore cylinders,you`ll be around 10.2-1,releaving the heads(or dishing the piston) to get to 9.1-1 woulndt be a big deal

Heres something to consider if it does drop compression a bit and you still have the bike giving you the power your looking for you win.
High compression to make an engine run is old thinking we got away from that in small blocks many years ago

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. The higher compression is a lot harder on many parts compared to just making the power with a bigger, badder, air and fuel flowing monster. I also like the lower compresssion b/c I think it's a more "streetable" machine and if you get a hold of some bad gas it's a lot more forgiving.

a long with the mva heads would a cam say 258 in a 103 would this be a combo.worth investing in ?this would be a build on a 96" motor.

Back