free website stats program Mounting oil cooler | Harley Davidson Forums

Mounting oil cooler

geezer

Contributor
I'm going to put on a HD oil cooler on my Heritage. Have to take the filter off to mount the cooler adapter. The oil has sumped out of the tank into the motor so if I take the filter off now will the oil run out of the motor? Or do I start it up and get the oil back in the tank? Another question, if the oil is in the tank do I have to drain it first before removing the filter or will it stay in the tank with the filter off? Still learning about Harley's so I'm not sure the best way to do it. I put fresh oil in before I parked it last December but was thinking I would go for a ride, warm it up and change the oil again to flush out the new cooler and lines. Good idea? Thanks for any advice.

Here's a comment... If you can wait until your next Oil change, install it while the oil tank is empty.

That makes the most sense Harry but I'm like a kid I guess, I want to do it NOW before riding season really starts.

Just take the filter off and start have fun mountung the new cooler geezer, a little oil might run out because the filter will have oil in it, but while it's cold would be best time to install.

Geezer, make yourself a reusable oil filter drainage tray out of a plastic bottle:

Cut a durable Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice plastic jug. Save cap top 1/4 portion and left side for reservoir/windage tray, tapering 1/2 way down to the bottom, easily trims out and shapes a bit closer to the oil filter profile. Use 3 finger filter wrench to loosen, slip the tray underneath and did not spill a drop on the motor or mount below. It helps if you level bike first, but not absolutely necessary. Wipe the old bottle down and reuse it...no muss or fuss. :bigsmiley24:

DSCN0789-1.jpg

DSCN0793-1.jpg

geezer i have a dresser just taking off wy hd oil adpter because of oil filter interfernce with crank scencer dont know if this applies to yours older post in dresser may want to check ans see save some (bs) good luck

Geezer let me know how it goes, I have been thinking about adding one to my Heritage. Which cooler did you go with?

Back