free website stats program motorcycle skills test - indiana | Harley Davidson Forums

motorcycle skills test - indiana

ashenfang

I have had my permit for a few months now (passed written test, can ride sun up to sun down with helmet, no passengers) I now would like to get my license, which in Indiana requires that you pass the motorcycle skills test. I thought I would ask anyone here, who has taken the test recently in Indiana what it consists of, and its difficulty.

I think of myself as a safe and cautious rider, but a friend of mine said years ago when he took it, they asked you to do somethings that you would probably never do on a bike.

Anyway, any info will help. I just would like to practice anything I might need to before this saturday (test day).

I was told that the IN. test was tuff.I just went and took the abate safety course and no test required.Also learned some helpful tips and improved my riding and saftey habits.

ashenfang,Practice weaving in & out around a line of cones a few feet apart.Swerving,stopping quickly at 18 mph.Also a right hand U turn as tight as you can make it.I ran over a few cones & passed,because I NEVER put my feet down.They take off points big time for putting your feet down.
I suggest practicing tight figure 8's in a parking lot riding a VERY slow speed(approx 5-10mph),& right hand u turns in the drive lane between the parking spaces.Use your rear brake for those,& working not putting the feet down.I & a couple others passed on Road kings.
Good luck

Last edited:
Well, I was going to suggest you get the Ride Like A Pro DVD and practice everything on it but your test is Saturday so forget that - unless you know someone you can borrow it from.

As previously posted, it will all be low speed maneuvering, probably never above 15-20MPH. Keep your feet up, even if it means hitting a cone. Use your rear brake mostly and really work the friction zone of the clutch. Turn your head (think chin) absurdly in the direction you want to go. Don't be afraid to lift your butt slightly and shift your weight.

Just pretend you're on a big 'ol bicycle and make it go where YOU want it to go! I know - easier said than done.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks alot guys for the input. I am thinking about taking my friends 82 yamaha maxim 750 out there for the test because it has a little bit lower center of gravity, slightly shorter wheel base, and its not new :) I am nervous, as I find very low speed turning to be somewhat of a challenge. I did go out to the parking lot where they hold the testing and its DINKY. All in the space of about 50ft by 100ft.

If you really want to make it easy,find someone to lend you their 50cc or bigger scooter.50cc is the minimum for the test.I was (EDIT) to see them letting people get their endorsement using one of those.I wasn't the only one either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I was going to suggest you get the Ride Like A Pro DVD and practice everything on it but your test is Saturday so forget that - unless you know someone you can borrow it from.

As previously posted, it will all be low speed maneuvering, probably never above 15-20MPH. Keep your feet up, even if it means hitting a cone. Use your rear brake mostly and really work the friction zone of the clutch. Turn your head (think chin) absurdly in the direction you want to go. Don't be afraid to lift your butt slightly and shift your weight.

Just pretend you're on a big 'ol bicycle and make it go where YOU want it to go! I know - easier said than done.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I would 2nd Dr. advise.
Even after taking and PASSING the test, I recommend this CD. You will pull u-turns with ease and there are many other things you will find very usefull as well.
You never stop learning and you always must practice when you through your leg over the saddle!
Good Luck! and be safe!:s

PS. The rear brake and the friction zone as Dr. stated will be your best friend! DO NOT touch the front brake in the Figure 8 box!

Last edited:
Ohio here.
I would slip over to the course if allowed and attempt some of the manuvers before taking the test.
And remember, missing a cone is only a 5 point deduction, so if you only miss 1 you're still golden with a 95.
I know an older gentleman who hit every cone during the weave and still passed.

JBK

I took the ABATE course last year and then the test that is at the end of the course. My son took the actual State of Indiana test which is administered by ABATE.

Boy, what a difference between the two. The test you take outside of the ABATE course is ALL LOW SPEED turning. We watched two guys on road kings drop their feet and flunked out. There were three young guys on croch rockets that couldn't make the turn.

My son has a Kawasaki Mean Streak with straight pipes and it really rumbles at at low speed. He had no trouble except for hitting one cone....but he had been riding for over a year, as well.

I also talked to a guy at the test who was on his son's 125 cc dirt bike because "he couldn't make on his Gold Wing the week before in the slow tight turns". I think the key is that if you are really, really comfortable at doing slow, realtively tight manuevers, you'll be OK.

Back