free website stats program Motorcycle jacket extension panel | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle jacket extension panel

TQuentin1

Staff member
I have a Kerr Leathers motorcycle jacket that is a 42. This thing is a bit snug now, so I would like to find a zip in extension to add a couple of inches so there isn't as much strain on the zipper.

The zipper in the jacket is a YYK #10 right-hand slider about 19" long. So I would need an extender with a left-hand slider to "bridge the gap"!!! If the extension was a little long, I could zip it in, cut it and move the stop.

If you know of a source for something like this, let me know.

Cheers,

TQ

A couple of years back the lady that does the sewing at Iron Horse during the bike events had some made up and was making them custom. I'm sure you have been all over the web looking as I did but I didn't see anything either. I'll ask the obvious and ask if you have contacted Kerr? If you have a local shop that sews leather maybe if you got the zippers they could make one for you. I have the same closet that seems to shrink any article of clothing I leave in it.

When my old motorcycle jackets shrunk I found them tight across the shoulders so a wee bit extra on the front may not make for a comfortable jacket
Buying a new jacket worked for me

Brian

The concern I have is how will the extension hold up in a fall or crash. Will it be able to keep jacket attached to you and protect you if needed? Maybe locating a leather maker and have a complete new zipper install, but the cost may encourage more towards a new jacket like Fin suggested.

I'll ask the obvious and ask if you have contacted Kerr?

I tried, but can't locate them. I had sent my jacket back to them in about '99 or 2000 when the Baby-Momma I was with at that time went completely psycho and took a knife to my jacket. I had a saddle maker stitch up the leather and then sent it back to Kerr. They replaced all the lining for free!!! Great job.

I really love this jacket. It weighs about half a cow since the leather is so heavy (thick). I don't really want another if I can compensate for it being a bit tight.

Cheers,

TQ

I had a local shoe maker do some leather alteration on chaps, and a jacket, you might check a couple of those / independent
shoe shops, this guy did great on my vest also.

When I was a young lad back in the 1960's leather work was done by a saddler or perhaps a shoe shop however these sort of places are hard to find these days
However at that time horses were still being used on farms as tractors were still scarce

Brian

Back