free website stats program More terrible HD parts instructions | Harley Davidson Forums

More terrible HD parts instructions

dogdad

Bought a new billet style brake lever for my RK. Directions seemed simple and easy and only a couple of parts to change out that came with it. Finish taking off the fasteners to get the stock lever off, go to remove the lever,,and presto,,the pipes are in the way. Called up my HD dealer and yes they verified ,,you have to remove the exhaust to take off and put on the rear brake lever on a RK,, but not mentioned in the instructions for the part installment,.:bigsmiley19:,, well I' don't do to much on my own bike,,so I asked them how much they charged to install my new chrome billet brake lever ,,and the service writer says " oh about $100-$150". Now I'm double:bigsmiley19::bigsmiley19: mad. Only sells for about $140 . Guess I'll try and remove the pipes myself.

Bought a new billet style brake lever for my RK. Directions seemed simple and easy and only a couple of parts to change out that came with it. Finish taking off the fasteners to get the stock lever off, go to remove the lever,,and presto,,the pipes are in the way. Called up my HD dealer and yes they verified ,,you have to remove the exhaust to take off and put on the rear brake lever on a RK,, but not mentioned in the instructions for the part installment,.:bigsmiley19:,, well I' don't do to much on my own bike,,so I asked them how much they charged to install my new chrome billet brake lever ,,and the service writer says " oh about $100-$150". Now I'm double:bigsmiley19::bigsmiley19: mad. Only sells for about $140 . Guess I'll try and remove the pipes myself.

Dont forget to torque the exhaust when you are done, may want to change the exhaust gaskets too, if you have stock exhaust nuts now would be a good time to change them to grade 5 - 8 nuts with lock washers and a bit of anti sieze on the threads JMO

you Can do it with out removing the pipes just takes longer look for where i changed mine on here it should tell you what to do

Last edited:
Part of the problem is fasteners like axle nuts and others may end up near the pipes, so "cut" Allen wrenches, slotted sockets or other modified tools may be needed (and still have problem with backed out fastener not clearing). Wobble or ball end tools to access fastener at the proper angle and other mechanic "creative" work arounds can be done. :15:

The deal is H-D designs like most manufacturers for nominal performance and looks...NOT necessarily service, which is not unlike others, like Chevy and Ford. How many of us remember having to unbolt motor mounts, jack the engine up a few inches and THEN be able to back out the spark plugs...:(

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of wrenching my friend! It is never that easy. Just be patient, dont be afraid, and go for it! The worst that can happen is you will learn something and gain respect for guys that do total rebuilds

Exhaust is easy enough to just unbolt and move it out of your way for your purpose. As Jack noted, just get some new gaskets. and to add to that some small fingers as that is the hardest part of it.

100+ to do this is crazy, way too easy to give to someone else to do.

Well after looking at my bike closely, I decided to loosen the right front floor board frame and move it forward after I removed the floorboard itself. The old brake lever came out and the new one went in,,as easy as a,2,3. just needed to look at it closer. Now remember, the DEALER wanted $100 to "move the pipes" and change it out. I think it took me 15 minutes max.

Well after looking at my bike closely, I decided to loosen the right front floor board frame and move it forward after I removed the floorboard itself. The old brake lever came out and the new one went in,,as easy as a,2,3. just needed to look at it closer. Now remember, the DEALER wanted $100 to "move the pipes" and change it out. I think it took me 15 minutes max.

Another job well done Conrats on out smarting the Dealer:s

Back