free website stats program Monster Ovals & Power Duals | Harley Davidson Forums

Monster Ovals & Power Duals

scts

Thought I had this all figured out and was ready to order last night, then did a little more late night reading which was probably a mistake and now I may be confused again...

Finally decieded on the V&H Monster Ovals and Power Duals for the Ultra ('10 Ultra Limited). Know (or belive I know) the cats are in the header pipes, but I had thought the Power Duals would come with everything to replace the headers / cats (and then back with the MOs)... so after reading last night, I'm questioning - will ordering the Power Duals give me everything to replace the cats as well, or am I still missing another piece?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,
I am in Clarksville, Va. not to far from you. I just ordered and received the V&H Power Duals, Monster Ovals, Drak Air Cleaner and TTS Mastertune from MandM Cycles in Sandusky OH. Mark was great to deal with and I got everything including shipping for just over $1600. Couldn't find a better price anywhere.
To answer your question, the Power Duals takes the place of your stock header pipe and CAT. The Monster Ovals slip on directly. V&H Power duals come with a wide open cross over pipe that takes the place of the scrunched stock cross over.
Now to digress further.... If you do header pipes and exhaust you need to open up the air cleaner. There are a ton of selections out there. I just happen to love the Drak. Also, you will definetely need a tuner. Don't short your self to save a couple hundred on the V&H fuel manager. It is just an add on device that tricks your ECM to provide more fuel. Doesn't offer advantage of timing changes etc. I chose TTS Mastertune. It is the original maker of Screamin Eagle Super Tuner, does the same thing as the new Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner but about $120 cheaper.
Finally, I recently had surgery and couldn't do the install myself so I took my bike down to Ray Price in Raleigh for installation and Dyno. Honestly if you have any mechanical skills at all, this is an easy DIY project including the TTS mastertune.
One last thing.... If you are changing out your header pipes, spring for the cost of new header gaskets. They were about $5 each at M&M.... $11.50 at Harley. Good luck, I'll be picking mine up tomorrow after work. Pics and sound bite by the weekend. BTW 2010 Electra Glide Classic.

Thanks for the responses... Hobbit - I remember a couple of your posts, which is what got me started down that path... you did that setup on a CVO didn't you?

reidsworks - Thanks for the detailed response... I've done a similar upgrade on the Fatboy, so thinking I'll do the Ultra as well. Still need to decied on the AC, used the SE AC on the fatboy to keep the stock cover, not sure what I'm going to do for the Ultra. Have the TFI already installed on both bikes, so I'll leave that with the Ultra's upgrades (it's been enough for what I need / want). Thanks for the note on the header gaskets, definitally worth the $5 each while ordering (also looking at M&M, in fact have their quote in my email ready to approve).

Clarksville, is that down by Smith Mnt Lake? Love that area, we pull the boat down there a couple times a year...

SCTS. Clarksville is about 1.5 hours south west of Richmond off 58 West. It is the only town in Va. on a lake. Kerr Lake is largest one in VA. Great camping boating and fishing.
Picked my Electra Glide up from Dealer this afternoon. Pipes and headers with the Drak look absolutely awesome. Sound is incredible. Too cold and late to ride it just yet. Best part is the Dyno results. Stock tq- 75.64 hp 62.21. New Exhaust tq- 87.76 and hp 77.14 That's a 20% gain in HP. Very happy with the whole deal despite not wanting to dyno for obvious reasons. Now I am glad we did. BTW... AFR is nearly flat across the rpm range at 13.6. I will attempt to post copy of dyno once I get it scanned in. Pics and all to follow over the weekend.

Ordered the Power Duals and MO from M&M on Wednesday night, had them at the door on Saturday mid-morning - Mark is a great guy to deal with :)

Had to watch the girls Saturday until around 4P, but as soon as the wife got home my 3 year old (turns 4 this month) and I went out to the garage and she worked on her "trike" while I started on the Ultra... Took several breaks (including overnight) but finished it up Sunday morning, probably 4 hours worth of time in the garage, including the SE Air Cleaner and readjusting the TFI.

Sunday was supposed to be a rainy mess all day, but the heavy rain held off and the skys cleared for about 30 minutes right as I put the seat back on the Ultra... Love the looks and the sound, and got a 30 min test ride in - awesome combination!!!

Obviously don't have any dyno metrics, but I couldn't be more happy with the results and seat of the pants metrics :D

Congrats scts.... I wish I could have done my own install. Got my bike back from the dealer install last week. Fired it up and it sounded and looked great. Unfortunately, it is back in the shop due to a fuel problem. Turns out a plug under the dash in the fairing that connects the fuel pump to the system had come loose. No fuel. So the exhaust and dyno have been done for a week now and I haven't had it long enough to take a ride. Won't be able to pick her up till Friday due to work schedule. Dealer is two hours away.
Mark is great to deal with and offers excellent price and customer support. Ride safe.

This is the set up I have on my 09 FLHRC. I installed it myself but it took me about 4.5 hours. It's a pretty straight forward install but those darn chrome cover clamps are a (EDIT) . The dealer told me they would charge me 1 hour install for the power duals but that was after I put them on. I enjoy wrenching so it was a good investment in time. The power duals have such a huge impact in the heat that was produced by the cat that was in the oem header, that they should be using that in their advertising for the power duals. You won't be disappointed.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike has been returned and finally had a good day for a test ride. The Monster Ovals, Power Duals and Drak look and sound great. Best part is the low end torque is incredible. The exhaust note is about as close to perfect for me and my honey at any speed and tunes can be heard just fine.

Back