free website stats program Molex Connector Trouble. Can't get the pins out. Help!l | Harley Davidson Forums

Molex Connector Trouble. Can't get the pins out. Help!l

Jezza

Hi
Can anyone suggest a supplier who can sell me a Molex Connector Terminal Removal Tool. Part# HD-48114

I live in Tokyo, Japan and just called my local HD dealer, and was told it would take 2 months for them to order one for me!

Alternatively, has anyone got any good tips on how to get the pins out of the Molex terminal block? My bike is a 2007 Road King Classic. I have the HD service manual and the parts book. I have tried following the instructions in the service manual, and the wires still won't budge. I don't have the terminal removal tool, so I've tried using a paper clip pushed down into the hole beside the pin inside the terminal block to release the pin from the block, but that isn't working.

What I've done so far is:
Disconnect the pin and socket halves of the Molex connector.
Pry the sealing cap away from the bottom of the connector (where the wires enter the connector)
Using needle nose pliers pull the inside of the connector up about 4mm in the connector housing (this is the secondary lock, right?)
Push a paper clip down into the hole beside the terminal pin that I'm trying to remove and...nothing! It won't budge!

I've got a set of Namz wire extensions I'm trying to fit, so I can install a set of pull back bars, but unless I can get the pins out of the Molex connectors I might as well just cut and solder the wires the old way. It'll be quicker!

Any suggestions welcome please!

It sounds like you are doing it correctly.

You quote "Using needle nose pliers pull the inside of the connector up about 4mm in the connector housing (this is the secondary lock, right?)"

Yes, that is the secondary lock.

The only thing I can think of is the paper clip is not bottomed out in the connector or the paper clip diameter is not the proper thickness. If the paper clip is loose in the terminal hole, it won't release the terminal.

Are you trying to release the male or female connectors.

Some Molex connectors have a nylon barrel removal tool that encircles the pin or receptacle and pushes the barb(s) down (some have more than one, so using a single paper clip may not do the trick). Look on the Molex website or contact Newark, Mouser or one of the other electronics component distributors. They also have tech support groups that may help you locate those silly tools, which are made of plastic but are about $10.

It sounds like you are doing it correctly.

You quote "Using needle nose pliers pull the inside of the connector up about 4mm in the connector housing (this is the secondary lock, right?)"

Yes, that is the secondary lock.

The only thing I can think of is the paper clip is not bottomed out in the connector or the paper clip diameter is not the proper thickness. If the paper clip is loose in the terminal hole, it won't release the terminal.

Are you trying to release the male or female connectors.

Thanks Hoople, I'm trying to release the male pin. I guess I need to try pushing the paper clip in further. I'd be happy to pay 10 bucks for the right tool if anyone knows where I can get one.

Thanks Cyborg for the link to Lisle corporation. The tool shown looks like it will only work for female connectors though. The ones I'm trying to remove are male connectors.

Use a razor knife. You have to pull back hard on the wire so the first tang stays compressed while you push in the opposit side tang. if you release the tension at all the first tang will spring back. Some are easy and some are a pain. The last one is usualy a pain, Murf Law.

The Lisle tool will not work on these connectors. They are not that type of design. There is only 1 tang on these type of molex connectors.

You may try filing a slight "ramp" on the end of the paper clip so it can slide UNDER the tang. You may be just bashing into the tang because of the blunt end of the paperclip. You need a ramp effect to get under the tang.

That is probably what is happening.

The Lisle tool will not work on these connectors. They are not that type of design. There is only 1 tang on these type of molex connectors.

You may try filing a slight "ramp" on the end of the paper clip so it can slide UNDER the tang. You may be just bashing into the tang because of the blunt end of the paperclip. You need a ramp effect to get under the tang.

That is probably what is happening.

It helps to know exactly where the tang is located on the pin. The pin usually has a split you can see, that can help you index where the tab is. Unfortunately molex pins have stiff tangs and it is hard to bend them in without the tool. I usually break off the tip of several exacto blades trying to remove them when my tool goes missing.

If you decide to cut the wires: Twist, solder, and heatshrink with glue inside. If you have several wires that need to feed through, sometimes I stagger the cut length so the heatshrink does not create a large bunch in one spot.

You could ask the dealer to borrow the tool or cut the wires at the connector and take it to the dealer to remove the pins. I would think they would have some new pins to crimp back on the wires ends.

Good Luck:

The tool to crimp the connectors properly is pretty expensive, be patient, hate to see wires cut when they don't have to be.
The first time I did these connectors I had a rough time of it, after doing a couple it was no problem. On some I had to push the wire into the connector, slide pin in to release and then pull wire out of connector. Good luck.

Back