free website stats program Modular plug disassembly | Harley Davidson Forums

Modular plug disassembly

I was told I need to replace my Crank Position Sensor. I've removed the sensor from the engine. There is a black and red wire coming out of the sensor, and it runs through a harness/loom with several other wires and into a modular type plug. The wires run into the modular plug, and from the reverse side I see several pins. My question is: Can someone tell me the proper method to remove the two wires from the CKP sensor out of the modular plug. Looking in at the pins, I can see what appears to be an orange block that looks like I would remove it and just pull the two wires I need from the plug, but I do not want to guess at it. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have an 08 Ultra and I bought the Service Manual for that bike. There is a great section in there on servicing and splitting down the elec connectors. On the Ultra 08 it calls up a 2 Pin Deutsch type connector for this, so I am sure your bike is different. If you have a photo of the connector and if that type is still used on my bike then I will happily scan and send you the pages

I was able to remove the wires I needed to remove, but I still wouldn't mind having that section on disassembling the connectors. Mine ended up being the Deutsch and it was an EASY job. thnx, Les

Yes, those Deutsch connectors are rather unique to Harley regarding the additon of accessories and the like. And a second Yes, there is an HD kit Deutsch pin and receptacle kit with install/removal tools and procedure in the HD Parts and Accessory catalog. I think if you have a good relationship with the HD dealer, they will print out the HD tech note regarding them and no charge. I just did not spend the time and hard wired my accessory plug to my Battery tender connector, (but reversed polarity) due to the gender change...always check final polarity with a DMM (digital multimeter) when doing anything electrical as a precaution.

There are quite a few threads on here about the accessory connection. The Deutsch plugs are a Type DM, if you google it you will find suppliers for it. The problem I had was that the Harley accessory I bought to modify for my purpose (Satnav connection) only had 2 of the wires connected. I sourced my own plugs in the UK from a company called Simtek, but there are a number of suppliers on Google. Much cheaper and less hassle

Back