free website stats program Mini Tach installation ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Mini Tach installation ?

journey06

Can anyone tell me where to hook up the pink wire from my mini tach. I have an 06 Lowrider. I have changed the console elimiinateing the stock tach. Now I want to install a mini tach.
I can't seem to find the signal source. I tried hooking it up to the ignition wire on the harness that pluged into the oem tach but it doesn't work.
There are 3 wires comming out of the mini tach. Black, ground. Orange and white, power source. And pink. The first two are simple but that pink wire has me stumped.
Thanks
Journey06

Can anyone tell me where to hook up the pink wire from my mini tach. I have an 06 Lowrider. I have changed the console elimiinateing the stock tach. Now I want to install a mini tach.
I can't seem to find the signal source. I tried hooking it up to the ignition wire on the harness that pluged into the oem tach but it doesn't work.
There are 3 wires comming out of the mini tach. Black, ground. Orange and white, power source. And pink. The first two are simple but that pink wire has me stumped.
Thanks
Journey06
Looking at the wiring diagram in the '07 Dyna Service Manual, there are five wires coming out of the FXDL stock tachometer.

Orange - #1 on the tach to #6 on the main harness - Ignition

Light green/violet - #2 on tach to #7 on the main harness and #2 on speedometer - Data link

Brown/Grey - #5 on the tach to #2 on the main harness and #5 on the speedometer - Battery

Orange/White - #6 on the tach to #1 on the main harness and #6 on the speedometer - Accessory

Black - #7 on the tach to #12 on the main harness plus the front turn signals - Ground

If you do not yet have the Service Manual for your bike, I highly recommend you securing one. Servicing and accessorizing the bike becomes so much easier and saves money in the long run. :bigsmiley28:

Did the tach come with instructions to tell you what type of signal it's looking for on the pink wire. It may already have the front end electronics to accept a primary coil input signal, but maybe not. Does the 2006 have an independent ignition module or is it intergrated into the ECM as on the 2009. Since you already tried the "ignition" wire, none of the others will probably work. Before you do any damage to the tach by hooking it up to a wrong signal source, I would find out more about what type of signal is needed to drive it.

If you can post a link to the instruction we could tell you more.

Are you getting any power at all to the tach, such as the light or any movement? If not, you may be connecting the power to the wrong wire. Instead of the orange/white, try just the orange one that goes to the ignition source. The key is on after you connect, correct?

The data link might the connection to the pink wire.

Don't quote me, just speculating. Hoople's request for posting the instruction sheet would really help.

Can anyone tell me where to hook up the pink wire from my mini tach. I have an 06 Lowrider. I have changed the console eliminating the stock tach. Now I want to install a mini tach.
I can't seem to find the signal source. I tried hooking it up to the ignition wire on the harness that plugged into the OEM tach but it doesn't work.
There are 3 wires coming out of the mini tach. Black, ground. Orange and white, power source. And pink. The first two are simple but that pink wire has me stumped.
Thanks
Journey06

Welcome Journey06 to the HD Talking forum. While others will be responding, the key question is, did your installation instructions that came with the tach identify the pink wire's function? I have also found that the color coded schematic that comes in the Clymer manual is pretty handy when dealing with color coded wire (one of the reasons why I have it in my Sportster "library"...:57:

Looking at the wiring diagram in the '07 Dyna Service Manual, there are five wires coming out of the FXDL stock tachometer.

Orange - #1 on the tach to #6 on the main harness - Ignition

Light green/violet - #2 on tach to #7 on the main harness and #2 on speedometer - Data link

Brown/Grey - #5 on the tach to #2 on the main harness and #5 on the speedometer - Battery

Orange/White - #6 on the tach to #1 on the main harness and #6 on the speedometer - Accessory

Black - #7 on the tach to #12 on the main harness plus the front turn signals - Ground

If you do not yet have the Service Manual for your bike, I highly recommend you securing one. Servicing and accessorizing the bike becomes so much easier and saves money in the long run. :bigsmiley28:

Thank you
I do have the sevice manual and found the same info you supplied.
I would post the directions but I don't know how.
The directions I have I downloaded from the HD parts and accessories website for the tach.
They tell me there is a pink wire going to the speedometer I should splice into and hook the pink wire from the tach to. But there is no pink wire going to my speedo.

When I hook the black wire and the orange and white wire to the same color from the OEM tach plug, the tach lights up when I turn the key on just like it should.
I've tried hooking the pink wire to the ignition wire and the data link wire with no results.

Again thenk you J 06

Last edited by a moderator:
The directions I have I downloaded from the HD parts and accessories website for the tach.

I've tried hooking the pink wire to the ignition wire and the data link wire with no results.

I would not just try a wire to see what happens because you may damage the tach or something on the bus network. Just copy and paste the web address (link) from the HD parts and accessories website for the tach. That would work even better.
The part number of the kit would help also. If it is a HD kit part number and it fits your YEAR bike, it should be no problem.

You may already have your tach trigger resolved but...

I was looking at the schematics for my 2009. Don't know if 2006 is the same but the tach RPM info is in the form of serial data coming from the ECM. The ECM converts the frequency of the crank trigger to serial data which is then sent to the tach assembly. The tach does not just simply look at the frequency of the crank sensor to determine RPM.

Therefore I would not hang anything on the serial bus until I knew for sure that the Mini-tach was designed to communicate with incoming serial data. The serial data lines going into & out of the ECM are very delicate and can be easily damaged.

Thanks everyone for your input.
I talked with HD and found out wear the pink wire goes on my Lowrider.
I goes into the # 3 hole on the plug in to the speedo. I'm just waiting for the pin that fits on the end of the wire so I can plug it in.

You may already have your tach trigger resolved but...

I was looking at the schematics for my 2009. Don't know if 2006 is the same but the tach RPM info is in the form of serial data coming from the ECM. The ECM converts the frequency of the crank trigger to serial data which is then sent to the tach assembly. The tach does not just simply look at the frequency of the crank sensor to determine RPM.

Therefore I would not hang anything on the serial bus until I knew for sure that the Mini-tach was designed to communicate with incoming serial data. The serial data lines going into & out of the ECM are very delicate and can be easily damaged.
I have a 2009 Sporty 1200 Custom...trying to install the factory tach above the speedo...my instructions say I'm supposed to hook the pink, sense wire to pin 3 at the speedo...but my pin broke...is the signal for the tach the LVN/G/V wire, and is it ok to pick it up somewhere else, like at the ECU?

Back