free website stats program Mini Apes on 08 StreetGlide | Harley Davidson Forums

Mini Apes on 08 StreetGlide

MOBEAR

Kicking around the idea of putting the Wild 1s WO577 12.5 Mini Apes on the my bike. Has anyone done this? Is it a DIY job or not? I am 6'7" and I am looking for a better hand position, on long rides on the super slab, I've rested my hands on the bat wing, which is not really safe :D

Thoughts or past knowledge welcomed!

I'm really intersted in any responses to MOBEAR's question too. I spent a little time last night surfing around for bars and like this option too.

I came across a couple of Street Glides at a hot rod show a couple of weeks ago and both had what I'm guessing were these bars. Didn't get to talk to the owners but did catch up with the workshop manager of the local dealer who did the work - he said the owners supplied the bars but they fitted them and only need to extend wiring - the brake and clutch cables were able to be re-routed. He did say it took 6 hours to do though!

Bear,

I don't know if the mini apes will look good on your bike or not; however, changing bars is a big job. You will need a service manual to do it (I did at least). My dealer wanted $1700 just for labor but that was to route the wires internally also. It took me probably 20 hours to do my bars and I would not have done it w/out a service manual. Good luck.

From photos on the internet, it will put the bars at the top edge of the fairing. Prices around the 500 mark for bars and all the new or extension cables, not including labor, thus the questions of doing it myself.

You might need taller bars, such as 16 inchers. I am 6'2" and have the 12.5" minis, my hands are just below shoulder height. It seems that if my hands are below the top of my shoulders they don't go numb after a little time of riding. It also depends on the pullback of the bars also. If they are not tall enough and have the incorrect pullback for your arm length, you will have to push them forward, thus fitting incorrectly against your fairing. Try to measure from your risers to the height where your arms are comfortable, and go from there. It was too big of a job for me. I replaced all forward controls and brake and clutch lines. Anything to do with brakes i leave it to the professionals. Just my opinion, hope it helps!

Three words for you. Paul Yaffe Monkey bagger Bars 12.5"( ok maybe 5 words). Just had mine installed and WOW!! I'm 6'1 and my arms are now perfectly level with my shoulders. The point of the bars are parallel with the top of the shorty fairing. Well worth every penny. make sure you get MBB not OEM. And yes its a huge job. 8 hrs, get an independent to do it if you can. The guys at Yaffe especially Kevin in Technical are top notch. My dealer had a problem fishing the wires and claimed the bars were defective. I sent them back to Yaffe with my controls and throttle by wire and he sent back out the next day. I would see how much it is to get pre wired and it would cut labor down to 5 hours.

To each his own. I love the look and love the ride even better.

Three words for you. Paul Yaffe Monkey bagger Bars 12.5"( ok maybe 5 words). Just had mine installed and WOW!! I'm 6'1 and my arms are now perfectly level with my shoulders. The point of the bars are parallel with the top of the shorty fairing. Well worth every penny. make sure you get MBB not OEM. And yes its a huge job. 8 hrs, get an independent to do it if you can. The guys at Yaffe especially Kevin in Technical are top notch. My dealer had a problem fishing the wires and claimed the bars were defective. I sent them back to Yaffe with my controls and throttle by wire and he sent back out the next day. I would see how much it is to get pre wired and it would cut labor down to 5 hours.

To each his own. I love the look and love the ride even better.

Did you need to replace the clutch and or brake lines or just re-route them? I've got ABS on my bike (when it finally reaches NZ) and I was told the brake line can't be replaced due to the ABS.

Any chance of some photos???

Cheers - Richard

The clutch line has to change and the ABS line only to the split under the Bars. I have ABS as well. You buy their supersize kit for 175.00 for an 2010 Street glide and everything comes complete,they even send you tranny fluid.All their fittings are top quality. If you go to his website and go to bars and click on application shot it will show you perfect pics chrome and black bars. I will post some good pics tomorrow. Havnt been off the bike since Wednesday. Our weather here has been incredible. 80 during the day and 74 at night not a cloud.

Back